• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no all brake fluids were created equal?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I know that you can't mix dot 3 and dot 5. From what I recall one of the reasons for that was that dot 5 is synthetic and when mixed things go bad. But what about dot 3 synthetic? Reason I am asking is that I always used dot 3 prestone non synthetic and now all I can find is dot 3 prestone synthetic. If I add it what will happen? Can I mix them?

DOT 3 & 4 can be mixed... DOT 5 is NOT TO BE mixed with 3 & 4... DOT 5.1 can be mixed with 3 & 4... Clear as mud??

You should be fine to mix your 'synthetic' with the fluid you already have in the system...

-Will

willyb said:
DOT 3 & 4 can be mixed... DOT 5 is NOT TO BE mixed with 3 & 4... DOT 5.1 can be mixed with 3 & 4... Clear as mud??

You should be fine to mix your 'synthetic' with the fluid you already have in the system...

-Will
That makes sense. What caused my confusion was the fact that dot 5 is silicone not synthetic as I originally thought.
Thanks y'all :D

One thing I did was buy one of those power bleeders. It's essentially a presurized jar that you pour brake fluid into and let it pressurize the system to 15-20psi. Then I go to all 4 wheels and with a hose on the bleeder, open them until clear fluid comes out. Once the clear fluid is coming out, close the bleeder and go to the next wheel. This way I know that the old stuff is gone.

Mark

Kejtar said:
OK, I know that you can't mix dot 3 and dot 5. From what I recall one of the reasons for that was that dot 5 is synthetic and when mixed things go bad.
As noted, DOT 5 is silicone. Actually, except in ABS systems you can use DOT 3 or 4 with DOT 5 silicone. But when you do so, you lose the benefits of the silicone. The two types of fluid are not "miscible" (I think that's the term). They will co-exist in the system without any problems, but they don't mix together. It's like putting oil and water in a jar.

Once you add DOT 3 or 4 to a system using silicone brake fluid, the system reverts to the properties of the lowest rated fluid in it. The DOT 3 has a lower boiling point and will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, and if any portion of the fluid boils, you lose the brakes.

I have not been able to find out WHY you can't use silicone in an ABS system. Everyone seems to know this, but I've talked to engineers at Dupont, Chrysler, and a couple of other places and each person had a different reason. Normally in a situation like that I'd be tempted to try it just to find out the truth, but driving around without brakes isn't my idea of fun, so in this case I just go along with the advice and accept that I'll probably never really know why.

Eagle said:
I have not been able to find out WHY you can't use silicone in an ABS system. Everyone seems to know this, but I've talked to engineers at Dupont, Chrysler, and a couple of other places and each person had a different reason. Normally in a situation like that I'd be tempted to try it just to find out the truth, but driving around without brakes isn't my idea of fun, so in this case I just go along with the advice and accept that I'll probably never really know why.

I may be wrong but I think I read that DOT 5 is very easily aerated. It traps small air bubbles easily resulting in poor braking performance. DOT 5 should not be agitated in any way. Since ABS systems have mechanical actuators and pulsating pumps, the fluid can become aerated.

bajacalal said:
I may be wrong but I think I read that DOT 5 is very easily aerated. It traps small air bubbles easily resulting in poor braking performance. DOT 5 should not be agitated in any way. Since ABS systems have mechanical actuators and pulsating pumps, the fluid can become aerated.
Add one more.

Of all the various reasons I've been given, this was NOT one of them. However, since I find it hard to accept that the rubber used in ABS systems is any less tolerant of silicone than the rubber used in conventional brake systems, and I have observed that silicone brake fluid IS easily aerated ... this makes a lot more sense than any of the reasons (guesses) the engineers gave me.

Thank you.

Back