• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rounded,broken,burried lug nut!!!!

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the long post but i need help

I started my axle swap today but i got as far as removing the wheels. One one of my wheels my lug nut was stuck, would not move. I tried a 3 foot breaker bar and it ended up roundering it. I went to the local hardware store and bought a broken nut remover. Like this http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ecegjdghldghf.0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952165000

It did nothing besides round the nut even more. Getting really pissed off and yelling a few four letter words my neighbor heard my cry and came over with a air compressor and a air chisel. It started ok but a hour later it burried the nut way back into the rim. NOW WHAT????

Any suggestions?

I've heard of torching them off

a buddy of mine was helping me change front axle u-joints and he notices marks around 1 of my lug nut holes he being a j\Jeep tech said they often had to torch them off

for some reason or another i guess they have a tendency of freezing up bad

Front or rear?

I usually try the blue-tip torch prior to cutting off the lugnut with the air hammer (using a chisle bit) or a air cut-off tool. Apply heat then spray with penetrating oil and try again. After all else fails I start cutting the lug nut with the cutoff tool and use the impact to remove it bit by bit. As a last resort I would use a torch. Now that I think about I would try my plasma torch, prior to the gas torch - I haven't had that come up since I got my plasma cutter. I use anti-seize on lugnuts and that cures the problem with the lugnuts rusting onto the studs. As long as I torque the lugnuts to 90-100 ft lbs the anti-seize doesn't cause the lugnut to loosen up prematurely. Good Luck

Woody

Drill.

You'll lose the stud, but that's about a $1.50 replacement

Its on my rear axle. The thing is that i dont care what happens to that rear diff and rim since i am swapping a new diff in and i have a set of spare rims.

The air chisel really killed it. Its pressed way back into the rim. I cant even see around the mashed in nut.

Good drill and bit, drill right thru it.......

canadianwheeler said:
I am assuming i need a drill bit just a little smaller then the size of the stud. Anyone know which size drill bit ? Any special type?

Why bother, the lug nut is toast anway as is the stud, might as well just get the biggest hardest bit you can and put it on a 1/2 or 3/4" manly wrist breaker and have at it.....aarrrrrggggghhhhh.... :laugh3: :laugh3:

Thought of hammering a socket onto whatever is left of the lugnut?

I did this this past Thanksgiving, it took quite a bit of hammering to get it on good, but it came off in a snap with a quality 1/2" breaker bar.

uvaldetxj said:
Thought of hammering a socket onto whatever is left of the lugnut?

I did this this past Thanksgiving, it took quite a bit of hammering to get it on good, but it came off in a snap with a quality 1/2" breaker bar.

YA did it a few times and just kept getting smaller now all the left of metal has been jammed into the rim.... its ugly

Yeah, the chrome jacket came off of mine. Then it became 18mm. I drove to get an 18mm 3/4 drive and IT rounded off as well. For now, I carry two Fix-A-Flat cans. The tire guy I know says it's just a matter of manual labor. Basically, anything you can reasonably do... chisel, torch, smaller socket pounded on, Dremmel etc.

you need to drill the center be sure it's centered and start with a small drill and increase the size until the lug is off, then buy and the lug that is very cheap and hammer it in from the back of the axle, probably a 4 out of 10 in difficulty if you have a good drill and sharp bits, a PITA and should not be attempted unless you have this, i found out the hard way, experience is the best teacher !

I broke three sockets om my 2000 before having it torched off.
The tech lined the rim hole with duct tape and cut it out with a torch.
new lug nut and stud was about $6.00 dollars and 1/2 hour to replace in my driveway after torched off at work.

Did you get off yet?

just cut it with fire its more fun than drilling! :gag:

Back