• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel base differs?

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
If the wheel base on an xj is 3/4 " shorter on the drivers side than it is on the passenger side will that make a big differance or will it make it ride untrue( not straight ) .

It can be compensated for somewhat, but the real question is.....what moved?

Rear end. My jeep was hit in the rear and I got it from the insurance lot yesterday. They totalled it due to the age and previous damage. Trying to figure out if I should kinda straighten it or start over with a different jeep.

3/4" is pretty far out of true.

It might be as simple as having sheared off the head of the spring centering bolt. Might be as bad as a buckled unibody further forward.

A buckle at that point won't change the wheel base. The location of the rear axle is determined by the front spring bolt, not the rear. Check some place else.

What it will do is cause the vehicle to run down the road slightly sideways. The rear axle will move out of line until the two wheels are parallel to the direction of travel. The front wheels will also run straight, but they won't be directly in line with the rear wheels.

With a 3/4" difference, I think it's going to be very noticeable. It will make a decent wheel alignment impossible, and will probably affect tire wear.

Back