• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee door problem, puzzled!

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
HEy guys,
I have a 2001 jeep cherokee sport,
keep it like show room new mostly.
recently the passenger door started to creek/squeek when shutting , but only does it about the last 2 inches of the shutting of the door> doesn't do it when opening or starting to close, just the last two inches on closing, makes that creek/metal/door squeek sound.?
I have oiled,greased, cleaned, all hingeds , pins, etc.
the door does not hang or is not loose in any way.

It just started this about a month ago.
I did have to replace the pin and hinge on the driver door last year, but that was a whole differant sound ,pin clicking when shut problem. This is differant.

Can anyone think of what it could be? i'm thinking of replacing the pin and hinges , but would not like to do that to find it didn't fix the problem , since the pins and hinges seem fine.

Thanks for any info! Puzzled!

My driver side does that on mine too. It is the little pin that is in the hold open catch. Try some white lithium grease on it. Don't forget to put some in the door where the catch goes into it.

If you've inspected everything else (alignment, door pins, grease, etc.), I'd suspect the door check mechanism (part # 5507-5258 on my '94) for loose bolts, worn spring or a pin that doesn't fit snugly (you can take it out and open it a bit to get it snug again). It's the mechanism that keeps the door from opening too far or too quickly. If the pin starts to wear it creates a small gap in the hole it's placed in and clicks against it as the door closes. Loosen the bolts that hold it onto the door (to release its tension a bit) and pull the pin out. Try and open and close the door a bit to see if the noise is gone. Pin part # is 1501-2900 again for a '94.

ditto...my drivers door did that, and of course after discovering the gaping hole in my rear floor the other day, to add insult to injury, the door hinge pin broke......lol

Thanks guys for the info,
I'll try taking off the parts and move the door to see if sound goes away!
Guess i was over thinking such a small problem, it never even ran through my head to try moving the door with the parts off. Would have answered alot of questions! lol

My drivers side door would also squeak. And spraying the hinges and door check didn't help. Turns out the bottom of the door was barely rubbing on the door sill making it squeak in the last two inches of closing the door.

Spray the bottom edge of the door and see if the squeak goes away.

Back