• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The XJ designs your 4-link FOR you (no options)

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
Well, I finally have the new front axle positioned under the jeep, and awaiting an oracle

I began taking measurements, drawing and visulaizing and came to the realization that:

there is not much you can do in strategizing link mounting locations!

so i stopped drawing.

if theres one thing I learned from the past discussions on 4-link design, is that it is almost impossible on a jeep to get the PERFECT set-up, that everythig is a big compromise.....

If I was building a rockbuggy from scratch, it would make sense to "engineer" a link set-up on paper and in a model first, but on the xj, there are limited possibilities anyway, and I am almost forced into placing them in specific areas, plus or minus a few inches from where I am able to put them.....

Originally I wanted to do a double-triangulated set-up, where the lower pair would mount to the middle of the axle tube, and the upper pair would mount on the outsides of the tube and converge in the middle right under the front of the t-case....

the lowers i can do like that, but the uppers will be almost impossible to work around the driveshaft......

simply put, I've decided to stop drawing, stop "engineering" and just put links in about the only places they CAN go, and hope it works okay......

its the FINE TUNING of the placements that could be discussed, but otherwise, it is what it is.......

thats about all I have to say.....

:clap: Welcome to the real world

Now you see what I was talking about with that confounded driveshaft, eh?

Although, there's always options. Shall I introduce you to my friend Hypotherm and his pal Lincoln?

Sean

Last edited:
was thinking maybe I'd have rolled uppers that I'll do on the eagle ba-50...........

or maybe I'll just take the easy way out and run the uppers straight back.....

have you figured out YOUR placements?

or are you just gonna wait for me to go first?

I'm sorry, I must have missed the thread about what was wrong with the last setup? Are you just building a new set up to keep up with the Jones'?

CRASH

Get a life.

CRASH

Well on teh MJ project I was gonna use Nissan axle and stock lower four link arms with custom triangulated upper arms and would ahve worked great...but regearing the Nissan axle is around 700.00 in parts....@ dealer cost!.....the layout for the MJ is perfect and woud have given awsome droop with shocks around 30"!...but have gone back to dana 44 zuzu axle spring over and will be putting in custom shackles..the Idea of the build of this truckis to make it CHEAP and duplicatable.

Hmmm I remember not so long ago when Beezil was telling others that the trackbar was not evil and to get over it................

Fabrication on an existing platform is like gravity -- it sucks, although you learn to work with things you cannot change.

Now, make the platform work with your goals (exploit the education): raise the axle end UCA mounts, and close in the frame end LCA mounts to better define the roll axis points and move the axle end mounts to remove the excessive anti-dive.

A track bar can be your friend (an ugly friend ... but you have little choice).

Have you considered traingulating the uppers instead of the lowers? I looks WAY tight, but I think that may be the routing I end up with. Between the oil pan and the d-shaft, there's not much room for links....
-Jon

Straight uppers, triangulated lower attached in the center. This is an inverted, triangulated 3 link and is a good choice. You can skidplate the lower link which will provide driveshaft protection and allow you to slide over obstacles.

I'm still pushing to triangulate both the upper and lower....

I need to talk to crash about clocking up the t-case to give me the clearance I *think* I need......

btw farmerlame, I am planning a new belt drive system for the front.....

OK...kinda off subject....BUT could you attach a Hydro pump to the tcase front output and a hydro moto to the front diff and run iut Hydro??? Maybr off base, but I would think witgh the low speed, it might be a new idea. Or I am a few cigars short of a full box.

arev

Finally a common point!!!!!!No matter whether you want short,mid,or long arm we are all stuck with what Jeep gave us.The only thing tuffer is dealing with the Uni-body itself!!

xjnation said:
Well on teh MJ project I was gonna use Nissan axle and stock lower four link arms with custom triangulated upper arms and would ahve worked great...but regearing the Nissan axle is around 700.00 in parts....@ dealer cost!.....the layout for the MJ is perfect and woud have given awsome droop with shocks around 30"!...but have gone back to dana 44 zuzu axle spring over and will be putting in custom shackles..the Idea of the build of this truckis to make it CHEAP and duplicatable.

Ummmmm, last I checked the beezmeister was talkin about front suspensions and the last I checked you were referring to rear suspensions......did I miss something?

Back