• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! Installing JKS quick disonnects now! Torx bolt?

vwkaferman

NAXJA Forum User
Good lord, installed the OME Steering stabalizer in about 15 minutes, moved onto the JKS quicker disconnects, got it all unbolted when it came to the bolt that is actually on the flange of the axle, the bolt that has that funky Torx bolt.

I'm looking at it, and it looks like it presses in, am I wrong? I borrowed my buddies Torx bolt, don't want to break it, already put over 50 lbs. pressure on it trying to break it. Next step, if it indeed screws out, is heat the hell out of it.

Actually posting from the garage on the laptop, dirty hands and all, so any quick replies would be appreciated!

James

Thank you, borrowed my neighbors (we work together) heat gun, heated it up, banged on it whilst heating, popped right out, WOOT! Thanks!

James

If you don't have enough ass to bang 'em out, and if you don't have fire, a makeshift press also works very well.

39562982_599fbd589a.jpg

That's what I love about these Jeep boards, and Jeeping in general, very resourcefull!

Welp, as of now, I have NO death wobble. I mean, it is GONE. Yes, there is a "slight" hint of wobble at 50-55mph, but it does NOT go into the wobble. Had her up to 90mph, perfect. Made a homebrew kit, 3-3/4" lift up front using 1-3/4" spacers coupled with F100 coils, out back using Dakota leafs for an even 4" lift.

Initially when I lifted it, wobble was BAD. First thing I did to help (not a cure all) was install Kevin's offroad Adjustable track bar, made by JKS. Then drop pitman arm (just to get the steering back in line), decent shocks in front and rear (running Deutch or something like that up front) (Rancho 5000 in rear). Removed the rear sway bar, installed JKS quicker disconnects, and installed Old Man Emu steering stabilizer.

Followed a link found here on how to home align (albeit it's ghetto, but it's a HELL of a lot closer than it was), so aligned the front end, and brought the steering wheel pretty much near center.

I am SO stoked right now, my Jeep is BACK! ready for some baby MTR's now (31's or 32's.).

Thanks to this board and a few others, I have done EVERYTHING in my garage. Love it!

James

I have a heat gun at work that has a digital read out and it will go to 1100F. Not exactly your wifes hair drier.

XJourney said:
I have a heat gun at work that has a digital read out and it will go to 1100F. Not exactly your wifes hair drier.

Exactly, this was one of those industrial strength jobbies, hey, it got the bolt hot enough to where when it came out, I couldn't hold it. It doesn't have to be red hot, just hot enough to expand it a bit!

James

Yea we have used ours to remove stubborn water pump pulleys and what not.

Back