• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disconnecting Transfer Case Linkage (Replacing TOB)

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of replacing my leaking TOB and could not "see" obvious points to disconnect the transfer case linkage to enable it to be dropped from beneath my 1989 XJ when I was working under the vehicle this afternoon. It is clear that some of the linkage is attached to a bracket that is secured to the transfer case/Aisin 5-speed mouting bolt flange.

Any advice from savvy XJ folks here?

Thanks,

Rick

RAVC1 said:
I'm in the process of replacing my leaking TOB and could not "see" obvious points to disconnect the transfer case linkage to enable it to be dropped from beneath my 1989 XJ when I was working under the vehicle this afternoon. It is clear that some of the linkage is attached to a bracket that is secured to the transfer case/Aisin 5-speed mouting bolt flange.

Any advice from savvy XJ folks here?

Thanks,

Rick
All you need is a long screwdriver or prybar: pop the linkage out of the rubber bushings, and while you're there consider replacing those bushings too (get dealer ones for the two poly ones as noone else seems to carry them in the right size in poly).

The linka/ge is held in by rubber bushings and just pry/pop out.
The older they get the harder the rubber gets, order new bushings because the old ones could even crumble.

Back