• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lower gears at highway speeds

stupidfast

NAXJA Forum User
i read a thread once where highway speeds were brought up with 4.10s, 4.56 and 4.88s, but it was only breifly. so post what gears you run and what your tach reads at 75-80mph

stupidfast said:
i read a thread once where highway speeds were brought up with 4.10s, 4.56 and 4.88s, but it was only breifly. so post what gears you run and what your tach reads at 75-80mph
yeah, do the calc thing and keep in mind that 3K for RPM"s feels pretty good on th 4.0. For a while I had 4.88's and 31's: it felt as though I could climb anything (provided I didn't get stuck due to lack of clearance that is). On the freeway it kept me at legal speeds (70mph and lower)

2750rpm @ 75mph with 32x11.50s and 4.56 gearing. AW-4 torque converter is locked, with 0.75 OD.

Yucca-Man said:
2750rpm @ 75mph with 32x11.50s and 4.56 gearing. AW-4 torque converter is locked, with 0.75 OD.

How do you find that combo as I am thinking of upgrading to 4.56's after going to 265/75/16 ( 31.9" true height" ) MTR's as have lost the pull I had on hills while towing and 4.11's and 31.2"'s? We cant drive here any faster than 62 mph most places and 68 mph on some freeways and highways. That is unless I am touring in the Northern Territory with no highway limits! Did your highway fuel consumption get much worse?

Last edited:
thoes calculators are crap. i dont know the ratio of 5th gear. just post your gearing and what your tach says at 75-80mph with the 4.0

stupidfast said:
thoes calculators are crap. i dont know the ratio of 5th gear. just post your gearing and what your tach says at 75-80mph with the 4.0

:rolleyes:

Do you not know simple math?

5th gear is .75 BTW.

this is the same formula 4lo uses without using the transfercase crawl ratio.

(rear end gear ratio) X (trany gear ratio) X (mph) X (336)
____________________________________________________ = rpm

actual tire size

example:

4.56(rear end) X .75(5th gear) X 75(mph) X 336(variable)
____________________________________________________= 2652(rpm)

32.5(actual tire size for most 33's)

Last edited:
stupidfast said:

Do you want it for each mile an hour from 75 - 80? Every half mile an hour? Seems to me that you were giving the information you seek, and more. BUT NOOOOOOO....you want everything handed to you on a silver platter. Fine I have printed the information out for you....I will leave it inside my fenced back yard, next to my axles, that way I know you will see it.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Do you want it for each mile an hour from 75 - 80? Every half mile an hour? Seems to me that you were giving the information you seek, and more. BUT NOOOOOOO....you want everything handed to you on a silver platter. Fine I have printed the information out for you....I will leave it inside my fenced back yard, next to my axles, that way I know you will see it.

Rev

Most important, are your dogs inside or outside?

Jes said:
:rolleyes:

Do you not know simple math?

5th gear is .75 BTW.

Hello, his name is Stupidfast! I think we should congratulate him on admitting to limited mental capacity.

Does 4lo have the formula for figuring out mental capacity?
I can't seem to find it on their website.

Back