• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's or procomp ( and a tire question)

98xjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched around a little and found some stuff on rusty's and their lift kits seem good but i havent found much on procomp. I am thinking of either pro comps 3 inch lift or rustys Complete XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Kit. Also are Dick Cepek MC II good? The reason i was looking at rustys is because they have full pack leaves instead of aal. One last question price is rustys shipping price high? Thanks in advance.

I had procrap tires once, they were fine until a blow out, then sheety customer service. I would never run anything with thier name on it again.

I have quite a few rusty's things and they have done well, thier customer service is good too.

I say no to everything mentioned in your topic.

within the last two months i insalled the rustys 4.5 in lift. i can say the install was a complete PITA- HOWEVER, none of that was rustys fault. it was the fact that my rig was rusty underneith. i am still keeping 3-400 lbs of sand in the back to try to soften them up a bit, but that is to be expected. i am completely satisfied with the customer service i have recieved even with an anoying tech question. you may be able to get a lower price shipping and or price wise by calling in direct vs the web site. only gripe is somewhat vague instuction sheet. some nice illustrations would be a big help...hmmm fix jeep comic book....hmmmm...

good choice on the rear leaf packs vs aal.

call rustys, talk to them and let them help you decide what is right for you, your rig, your wheeling, and your budget.

Have had Rusty's stuff on all 3 of my rigs and the new one will get it too...:D

The MC II's are not that bad. If you do alot of street driving than you would probably like them. They ride quiet compared to most tires and tread wear is very good compared to other dick cepeks. I don't know how they do in wet weather or snow because I live in a very dry climate.
If you can get a good deal on them than go for it. If not than I think there are better choices for the money. As far as procrap, run away, please.

Well...I will tell you I have never been a fan of Baja Claws..but mine is not a DD anymore so I just run TSLs

my big gripe on Rustys stuff is that 1-the bushings in the control arms suck. 2-leaf packs are great except that i blew a tretainer clip the first time out.

As for tires, look around and consider what you are gonna do with it before you get new tires.

fyi.. Rough Country leafs are only 180 Pair for 4.5" complete packs and 210 for 3" direct from them. and shipping was only 45$ for leafs an the coils I bought from them. Just keep that in mind. you may do better just ordering the leafs from RC and the front from rusty's.

I gave the same advice to someone else on the baja claw radials the other day. I run rusty's 4.5" kit on 33x12.50's Claws. They rubbed up front at first, but I installed ACOS spacers so no more rubbing. And I trimmed, now i'm good.

With the tires, if this is a daily driver I would not recommend them. I drive 95% of the time on road and off road about once a month. Here's the pros and cons:

Pros:
1) awesome tread life. I've put 20K miles on and I have probably 75% tread left.
2) Awesome off road, whether its snow ice mud rocks whatever. Doesn't really have a weak spot.
3) Side lugs are great and tough sidewalls stand up to lots of abuse. No chunking.

Cons:
1) Rough on road and highway. Lots of vibrations through the whole jeep above 55 mph. The side lugs are so big they can often hum and vibrate when slowing down especially. I can hardly drive above 65 mph because of the noise. If you drive your Xj everyday it can be rather unpleasant. Gas mileage hurts big time also, but i'm also at stock gears (I know, a sin).

But, if you drive 50/50 or have another vehicle for DD purposes I think they're super duper off road. I really haven't been stuck or had difficulty on any terrain because of the tires. They self clean well. If yours is primarily a trail rig, I say go for it.

Hope that helps.

Chris

ROBERTK said:
fyi.. Rough Country leafs are only 180 Pair for 4.5" complete packs and 210 for 3" direct from them. and shipping was only 45$ for leafs an the coils I bought from them. Just keep that in mind. you may do better just ordering the leafs from RC and the front from rusty's.

Yeah but i have heard some bad things about rc.

i would never run anything from procomp. IMO they are worse than $kycrapper. One of my friends got one of their kits and was so displeased by it he tried to return it, they wouldent take it. He cut his losses and bought the rustys 4.5" kit. Everyone i know has had a great experience with rusty. Call him up, talk to him. he will help you choose the best kit for your needs.

98xjjeeper said:
Yeah but i have heard some bad things about rc.

Yeah and I bet they are all true. But have you heard much about thier springs? I havent? But I will say that they have a direct from RC warranty for as long as you own them. That as well as the fact that they say (I know they can say what ever they want) that thier leafs are made by the same company that makes springs for a few other major suspension company's.

I have them in my garage and I will say they look to be good or above average quality from the looks. But who knows about function. I will see soon enough.

Back