• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a '91

Social Misfit

NAXJA Forum User
Am going to look at a '91 XJ this weekend with a blown motor and a 5spd. Besides that is there anything special i should be aware of, or anything that i might want to watch out for on a 91, thanks for any info.

How many miles? Was it well maitnenced?

Look to replace a clutch, depending on mileage.
Worn bushings.
Motor and tranny mounts.
U-joints.
T-case problems.
If it doesnt run, its kinda hard to tell whats wrong with it mechanically.

Look for the vacuum disco front, their easy to convert over to a solid shaft, but do have vacuum issues.

Depends on how much you get it for. Look it over very closely, I looked at at least a half dozen before I bought mine. Their everywhere, so dont jump on the first 'good' deal like I almost did.

Floor rot over the muffler, rusted rocker pannels, rust in the rear floor area, rust over windshield, bad vac actuator for frotn axle on 4x4.

xtrememtbiker85 said:
Floor rot over the muffler, rusted rocker pannels, rust in the rear floor area, rust over windshield, bad vac actuator for frotn axle on 4x4.

The axle should be a non disco, or atleast my 91 is.

actually they came both ways. I have a 91 and its a non disco....

But with all that rot....surface rust is one thing, and the area above the muffler is not a bad fix.

Social Misfit said:
Am going to look at a '91 XJ this weekend with a blown motor and a 5spd. Besides that is there anything special i should be aware of, or anything that i might want to watch out for on a 91, thanks for any info.
Make sure it's a 4x4 many are not.

Back