• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke rear shock bolt

randomxj

NAXJA Forum User
im puting rustys 3 inch lift in my trail rig i ve already put a 3 inch lift in my 95 with no broken bolts. the 87 had other plans for me with over 13 years in nh to rust well things are stuck even with pb and air tools i still broke the shock mounting bolts i magaged to fix all but one it has the bolt still stuck in it i ve been trying to drill it out but with no real luck. i can cut my floor but just hurcing everything last week i would like to save that as my last option. well i know this is one of the best jeep forums so im looking for your solutions drill and tap , new shock mounts custum shock hoops bps but my sway bar and its mounts are long gong well ill stop talking now so thanks in advance

I broke 3 outa 4 upper bolts,...even broke an "easy-out" trying to get them out. I'm going to weld some 5/16" capscrews (threads looking down) to the area where they snapped-off. USE NEVERSEIZE ANYTIME YOU PLAY WITH HARDWARE ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR VEHICLE; YOU'LL NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING THEM OFF AGAIN!

BLUTO

broke one on my 97. cut it out with a tourch and was able to get a bolt up there coming from the front of the mounting area. But i know not all yeare are open to do this.

I drilled out the broken bolt stub- bought a new, high-quality industrial bit of about 1/8 inch size, centre-punched the broken bolt, then drilled through. Followed with a larger drill one size above the factory bolt size (can't remember if the "next up" size is inch or metric), then tapped the new hole for the new bolt size. I had to file out the shock mounting bar to fit the bolt- easy enough. To make it possible to do this, raise the vehicle and support it on a jack stand under the spring mount, and let the axle droop. Use GOOD support- you head will be in there! 4XBob

thanks great thinking somone said in a old post to use left hand drill bits any luck with this

i just had the same trouble on my 98, can you weld the pin to the mount? if one bolt is still in place

Well, I just replaced my rear shocks on my 92 with a lot of rust. I was afraid that i was gonna break all 4 bolts. I PB Blasted everyday for 2 weeks, and used an impact wrench. Not 1 bolt broken. I was very suprised and relieved :)

Repleced the bolts with new ones and used anti-seize :D

LUCKY LUCKY, both in driver side broke off.

I broke both passenger side upper shock bolts. Now, one of them has an EZ-out in it as well. I cannot weld a nut to the broken bolts, as they are sheared flush with the body.

What is my best option..? Oh, man.. This is crazy..!!

Anyone have any suggestions here?

I broke one of mine as well, and I broke the ezout trying to get it out. Now I'm attempting to drill it out with a 9/32 cobalt bit to retap it, but that's really not making much progress at all... ideas?

I knocked mine out with a punch and a hammer, they came right out and then I just put a nut on the end of a short wrench(i didn't have a long one,) And just bolted them up, it was really quick and easy. Good luck, I don't think it is necessary to cut the interior, or even try and drill it out.

chelms27 said:
I knocked mine out with a punch and a hammer, they came right out and then I just put a nut on the end of a short wrench(i didn't have a long one,) And just bolted them up, it was really quick and easy. Good luck, I don't think it is necessary to cut the interior, or even try and drill it out.

i did the same.. beat out the old ones with a punch and hammer.. then nut and bolted.. no drilling or tapping required!

im jus another victim of the rear shock bolts. OMG them things drove us nuts! we ended up trying to drill and broke drill bits, drill and tap,the tap broke, then used an easy out, that broke!!! my uncle was PISSED. lol, he threw the creeper in the driveway! lol. so he took his drill and drilled the piss out of it tapped passenger side; on the driver side the tap was what got stuck and he drilled the fire out of it, then was SUPER PISSED.:flamemad: then jus drilled a new hole and we were done. what a day! my lift looks good though :)

I managed to drill through it and retap it larger... I had to take the cobalt bit to my grinder and sharpen it a few times to help it get through the ezout better, but other then that it went not too bad. Just time consuming.

Back