• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil in distributor?

prettylimited

NAXJA Forum User
pulled my cap cause it was cutting out.found oil in the bottom of the distributor housing.seal on my shaft leaking maybe.....anyone ever seen this.also i sealed my cap where it bolts on but didnt seal the little breather on the top of the cap,could it have seeped through there?

Do a search -- I believe this was covered ... Wiggle the distributor a little, it could be loose. If it is loose, it's a sign that the gears may be getting worn out, at which time you are better of replacing the distributor -- they are cheap enough.

When I've changed distributor recently, the gasket was completely disintegrated. I didn't have much oil in the distributor though.

good call!now which one is it,the little vacuum line closest to the firewal or the one in the front?and i think mine has been tampered with where should that line be hooked up to for vacuum?the airbox?

now that i think about it.my line from the front of the valve cover came undone.if thats the pcv it wasnt hooked up for atleast 50 miles.i bet the oil got in there then,because this is the first time this happened.i take my cap off everytime i get back from wheeling and clean it and havent ever seen oil in there till i found that line disconnected.

prettylimited said:
good call!now which one is it,the little vacuum line closest to the firewal or the one in the front?and i think mine has been tampered with where should that line be hooked up to for vacuum?the airbox?
That would depend on the year, look for the vaccum line thread for 87-90 pictures.

Back