• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX locker Lever mounting?

Stouttrout

NAXJA Member #1282
I am trying to decide between Ox lockers or ARB's. I just scored my D 44's yesterday and trying to decide how I want to build them. I have never had Lockers and would really like to. Anyone running OX lockers? If so, where did mount the levers and do you have a picture?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Dan

picture.JPG

That looks good. I have never seen them before. Thought they where alot bigger. How do you like them? What Tcase do you twin sticked?

I've run them for about four years and other than some minor annoyances at times they've performed well.
The twin sticks are attached to an Atlas.

jes i don't know if you still have the old style ox lockers. The ones where the pin that engages the locker isn't spring loaded. If you don't, give ox a call, i hear that they are trying to get all the old style ox lockers off the market and supposedly they are replacing them for free or for a very minimal cost. Figured i would just give you a heads up.

Matt

ps im still trying to figure where i want to mount my levers as well. going to be ordering ox's for both front and rear but just can't come up with a good spot to mount them. Kinda like where you put yours not that bad of an idea.

Hey just curious because im looking for some axles that i can either build up or that are already built up but what kind of 44's did you get and out of what?
whats the width of the 44 compared with a c8.25?
thanks

Shomsky462 said:
Hey just curious because im looking for some axles that i can either build up or that are already built up but what kind of 44's did you get and out of what?
whats the width of the 44 compared with a c8.25?
thanks

I got mine out of an 86 full size waggy. I have not measured them but I think they are about 59"ish The 8.25 is 58" I have flat tops that are being milled down for High steer arms and disk brakes for the rear. Really looking forward to getting them done. Hope to have them in by March. We will get everything welded to them and then build them up. I have a 2000 and the console has no real place to add levers too. I may have to build a new console if I go with OX lockers. I really like the simplicity of them vs. the air lockers.

yeah im thinkin i want to go with ox too because of the simplicity but just in the front but i dont want to waste all that money on an ox and put it in a dana 30 i want something bigger, but i dont know if it will be worth it to go from a dana 30 to 44 im still trying to figure that out but about the front 44 is it leaf springs or coils cause if they are all leaf springs thats gonna suck if i decide to go through with the 44 but ill see as i am still learning and will be for some time now.

The front did come out of a leaf spring truck. I plan to fab up my own brackets; However, You can buy a bracket kit from Rubicon Express. I may do that if I run out of time. My buddy did that on a TJ and they have worked great. He has a 14 bolt rear but a 44 front. It is built strong. He is running 38"s and has not broken anything yet.

do you think it would be worth it to do that and get new control arms and everything or just beef up my dana 30? i really dont have experience with welding and stuff but i know people that do but i want to be able to do it myself. come to think of it it would be a pain in the ass to go buy a 44 and weld a bunch of crap to it and regear and lock so nvm
thanks for the help
ohh yeah and im only runnin 33's hopfully 35's someday with much more lift but that doesnt come till a lot later maybe even a different xj.

I am running a long arm and 35's. I d mostly trails and nothing to hard but I like to over build. I guess I am alittle particular about some things. Upgrading axle would depend one what kind of wheeling you do. I have seen d30's run through some heavy stuff with a light foot. Just knowing what to do and when. i have done several axles swaps. Not too hard if you know what you are doing. there are alot of places that can do it. Also, a rubicon front d44 is direct bolt in. not as strong a good built d44.

well lets say i have an ox locker and 4.56 gears and stock shafts and 33's do you think i could make it through the rubicon? i have a 4.5" lift with teraflex 1.5" shackles. fairly new so no sag really. rear is 4.56 with 33's and a posi can i make it through the rubicon? and i have rock rails.

Shomsky462 said:
well lets say i have an ox locker and 4.56 gears and stock shafts and 33's do you think i could make it through the rubicon? i have a 4.5" lift with teraflex 1.5" shackles. fairly new so no sag really. rear is 4.56 with 33's and a posi can i make it through the rubicon? and i have rock rails.

I ran the Rubicon many times with that setup.

I wish I could make it to the Rubicon but that will never happen. From where I am I could drive all day towards it and never leave my home state :)

Stouttrout said:
I have a 2000 and the console has no real place to add levers too. I may have to build a new console if I go with OX lockers. I really like the simplicity of them vs. the air lockers.

It should actually be easier to add OX shifters to the '97+ console than it is the '96 and older because of the offset e-brake handle in the newer XJ's. You'd just have to give up a cupholder or two. In the even I ever replace my rear Detroit with an OX I'm going to look into swapping in a newer style console and ebrake handle, though Jess' install is pretty clean.

Back