• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which 31"s??

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
so i went down to a family friends tire shop today to replace 2 of my tires. for right now i'm sticking with the 225/75/15 until the lift is on and stuff. i asked him about the BFGs and he actually said he didn't recommend them. he showed me teh Bridgestone dueler AT and the Dueler AT revo, and said they had a mileage guarantee and they actually perform better. he also showed me the Dayton AT's, i guess dayton is made by bridgestone also. then i looked at some Baja tire, i can't honestly remember the brand, but it was supposedly good too.

what i want to know is, what do you guys think about the Dayton or Bridgestones? i guess that also thos are 6 ply tires and i think the BFG is a 4ply. the Bridgestones are a little cheaper too.

so what do you guys think?

If you are looking for AT's the BFG is tough to beat. The millage is good and low road noise. They clean out good for an AT. the bridgestones are not that great offroad but are good road tires. If you are looking for MT try procomp

before i go telling what i think

what u plan to use the tires for??

if u are gonna offroad. how often? and what kind?mud, rocks, sand?

i had 30's on my jeep when i first got it, then put 31's

both were bf goodrich a/t and theyre great!

they work great on road!
and do great off road!

great tire!

No experience with either one, but go 235 75r15 stock, or even 30x9.5r15. You don't need a lift to run either size, although you may rub a bit with 30s. Dont' sell yourself short with 225s. There is what the book says the jeep is supposed to have, and then what a jeep needs. jeeps need larger tires!!

ask him if he can get mickey thompson ats. What kinda wheelin do you do, any? If you wheel, you will want a more agressive at than those regular suv kind. bfg at is pretty good, but expensive. ask him if those tires are made to be aired down and run on the sidewalls. if you want to go anywhere offroad, you need sidewalls that can deform around rocks.

i run BFG'S and love them, i was running 235's and i just picked up a set of 31's and wheeled them good in snow mud ice and i even flopped it onto its side. Absolutly no issues with this tire i get very good grip and good wear and hardly no road noise. I had a guy at sears try and sell me some other "on/off road tire" and i returned them after a week for the bfg's nothing beats the $/availability/ability

I ran 31 inch Mickey Thompson Baja Claws Biased Ply. Those are probly the claws you looked at. While I don't reccommend getting biased plyed ones the radials are a little softer and lighter but with same tread pattern. Anyway I ran these tires on my Ranger and I'll be putting them on my XJ when the lift goes on. I loved these tires. They always got great traction and kept me moving as long as they were on the ground. The bad side of them were they wore out quickly cause I spent most of my time on the pavement. The radials I'm told last a little longer cause they stay cooler. They only time they weren't great traction wise was on ice. Other than that I loved these tires. I'll be getting radials next time I buy.

01_XJ said:
so i went down to a family friends tire shop today to replace 2 of my tires. for right now i'm sticking with the 225/75/15 until the lift is on and stuff. i asked him about the BFGs and he actually said he didn't recommend them. he showed me teh Bridgestone dueler AT and the Dueler AT revo, and said they had a mileage guarantee and they actually perform better. he also showed me the Dayton AT's, i guess dayton is made by bridgestone also. then i looked at some Baja tire, i can't honestly remember the brand, but it was supposedly good too.

what i want to know is, what do you guys think about the Dayton or Bridgestones? i guess that also thos are 6 ply tires and i think the BFG is a 4ply. the Bridgestones are a little cheaper too.

so what do you guys think?

It sounds like your friends are a Firestone dealer or affiliate. The Bridgestone Dueler AT and Revo are good and quiet all terrain tires - the older pattern Dueler AT was well known for good wear attributes. The Daytons and Bajas are Bridgestone/Firestone dealer's value priced tires - I have never run them or known anyone who has.

I favor the BFG AT over other all terrain tires because it is the Chevy 350 of the tire world. Reasonably priced, proven, and available most anywhere that sells tires. They will handle just about every terrain (except mud), and can turn in some long life on lighter weight vehicles. I don't run them anymore simply because I wanted something a little different, but I would buy them again without hesitation if I needed a new set of shoes for any 4x4 that sees significant pavement time.

IN reference to the Baja Claws, if you do lots of street driving I wouldn't recommend them, even the radials. I have 33.x12.50s and have for a year and here's my impressions.

Pros:
Great grip in any terrain (snow mud rocks ice)
Long tread life. 22K miles and still about 75%-80% tread left.
Tough sidewalls
Look mean

Cons:
loud and rough on the road. I rotated them recently which I should've doen more often, and it does make a difference, but still rough. I go offroad about once a month and drive it every day. It often makes the entire jeep vibrate when slowing down and is loud on the highway (above 55).

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.
Chris

DITTO on the BFGs! ive had good-years, adn BFGs, i liked both but i did the same thing, I was at Buffalo tire n Jacksonville NC. They tried 2 pursuade me with the same tire they tried 2 bribe u with also. I stuck with my choice, bought some 31' BFG ats on a 3 inch Procomp lift.It filled up the wheel wells fine.It will rub at full turn but you can cure that by adjusting the turn limiters on the wheels.
As far as the tires themselves, i think ill agree with all on this forum so far, i bought then n NC, wheeled there, drove 2 Texas, lived n Dallas, which was 100% paved driving :( with very little dirt seen unfortunatly.that was 6 months of use, then i drove 2 Maine, wheeled a lot up there, and eventually found myself BACK n N.C. where i cut the top off my cherokee and sold it 2 some kid cuz i had 2 move 2 California and i had one 2 many vehicles.So i kept the TJ.My POINT was that i put a TON of miles on those tires, both on and off road.And they are GREAT for the money.Then i ended up buying some 32inch M/Ts cuz i LIKE the road nise, poeple know im comin around the block :D

The Deuler ATs are a great tire. Buddy of mine ran them in a 33 and the only thing that got him stuck was some insane mud. Aside from that he had those things aired way down without a problem and they grabbed great. I run Destionation MTs and love them and would buy them again if not for wanting only a 10.5 or 11.5 tire. My next set will be TSLs but I do love the Destination/Deuler tires.

ive run bfg alot and like the road manners. they do fine in almost anyweather they are the true multi purpose tire. they wear great and do good in almost any terrain. read this ( these are not hard core mud or rock crawling tires) but what you give up in those two areas make it alot better dd tire.

I'm not a fan of Bridgestone tires so I'm also a little bias. But I wasnt a fan of Goodyear until I got my MT/R's. On a street driven rig you can't beat the BFG AT, our S-10 used to get 100k out of each set of 30x9.5 and our Silverado has got 60K on the new 285-75r16's so far and it looks like it will got another 60K before it needs tires. For off road either BFG MT's if your doing mud or MT/R's if you dont plan on doing to much mud.

alright, those baja tires aren't the baja claws. tommorrow i will have the 2 front stock sized ones replaced, so i'll go back and see what the baja tires were, but i know for a fact that they aren't Baja Claws.

as far as the person saying not to stick with the 225, well the thing is, when i bought the XJ, the rears have like 90% tread atleast, but the fronts are almost totally gone, so they need to be replaced, and i won't replace all 4 unless i get the 31"s.

Yes, his shop gets the Bridgestones direct from the factory, instead of from a distributor, so that might have influence what he says, but he's a family friend of many years, so i don't really think so. i think it's more that he just personally doesn't like the BFG's.

I was with some friends today as we got the quads ready for the dunes this weekend, and i saw 2 of them are running Summit Mud Dawgs or something like that and the one who is running 31"s got them for 100 a piece mounted and balanced. anyone have some opinions on these tires?

I'm still pretty much set on the BFG's because when i do go off road, it will almost always be sand, but i just want to check out all the other options first before i drop the cash on the BFG's

thanks for the help

A long time ago I ran the duellers and loved them, They had a great life span, hooked up really good in all weather conditions, quiet, and wore equaly.. Ive also ran the BFGs, same thing, But personally I liked the Duellers.. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.. Both are great tires

I have ran GoodYear MTR's 245/75/16's and 285/75/16's

They wear pretty good have to rotate them often .. but they do well in the rain awsome in dry and snow ..the mud they do ok

The road noise isn't that bad, and I think they look pretty good

I Love my GoodYear MT/Rs 31x10.5R15. Though I plan to use some advice I was given on bumpstops and try some 33x12.50R15s next year when I need new tires. I have about 35k on mine now and about 12/32 (if that is the measure...) left. Not bad at all for how hard I run them... Cornering as well as offroad.

My first car was an 83' RX7... so you can imagine I corner harder than alot of people. (Don't worry I stay within the safety of my abilities and XJ capability.)

I like hearing people's inpressions of their tires. I am planning on a set of Mickey Thompson baja radial mtx in 31's. Anyone running these?

Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips. It doesn't appear that a lot of people run these, but so far I like them. They have a good aggressive tread pattern. They have a very soft compound, which is great off road but I have a feeling they won't last that long. So far, they are holding up pretty well though. Oh, and according to their specs, they measure out the same as a lot of 32" tires (31.5" diameter)

get the BFG all terrains...it's hard to beat the bang for the buck when it comes down to lifespan they are amazing and the get decent traction.

Back