• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What could it be?

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, 2000 cherokee 4.0 Trouble began about a month ago. Wife had the jeep and told me that it began to make a grinding noise on startup. I expected the starter not engaging properly. I had the jeep and noticed that not only on start up but also upon shutdown. It would make a slight grinding noise on the last revolution or two when winding down. Well the startup grinding noise has now ceased and the shutdown noise occurs about 5-10% of the time. Now there is another new noise. Occurs randomly when driving, last about a second or so and sounds like a slight screech noise. I have no clue what all this is, but it must be related. I am guessing starter or flex plate, but wanted another opinion before I got to indepth here.

Thanks

I am not 100% on this but im thinking its not in the starting system but perhaps in the serpentine loop somewhere. tensioner pully?
Sounds bearing/bushing related.guess you migit get a better idea by opening the hood and getting a voulenteer 2 listen 2 startup/shutdown 2 pinpoint the noise location. Mabye if your lucky its just the belt. Good luck!!

Back