• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unanswered wiper problem

lyle ide

NAXJA Forum User
just replaced the wiper motor and trans in my 93xj, and at least they don't shimmy like they used too. however sometimes the intermittent would work some times not but the wipers would stop in different positions. removed the interittent control box,but i still have to trick them into parking at the right position.so its not the relay, and beings it is doing the same thing as it did with the old motor i don't think its that. what else could it be, the stalk or switch? if so how hard is that going to be to fix?

lyle ide said:
just replaced the wiper motor and trans in my 93xj, and at least they don't shimmy like they used too. however sometimes the intermittent would work some times not but the wipers would stop in different positions. removed the interittent control box,but i still have to trick them into parking at the right position.so its not the relay, and beings it is doing the same thing as it did with the old motor i don't think its that. what else could it be, the stalk or switch? if so how hard is that going to be to fix?

You removed the control box? That is what controls the "park" and intermittant functions, your need to put that box back in, or get a new one. They often fry the power link.

I bet they don't move when you spray fluid either right?

NHxj4x4 said:
You removed the control box? That is what controls the "park" and intermittant functions, your need to put that box back in, or get a new one. They often fry the power link.

I bet they don't move when you spray fluid either right?
had to go out and check, your right they don't move when i spray fluid. so i take it that you are saying the intermittent control mod is bad?

lyle ide said:
had to go out and check, your right they don't move when i spray fluid. so i take it that you are saying the intermittent control mod is bad?

Correct, get a new one of those, or do what I did, take the casing off or yours, find the link that blew (should very easy to see) and re-solder it. Mine hasn't blow since.

The basic park function is not built into the control box. It's integral with the motor. The wipers should park with the delay module removed. Whenever the ignition is on, there is a lead to the motor that is live, bypassing the switch. When the motor is not parked, this lead contacts a slip ring on a gear inside the motor, which overrides the switch until the park position is reached. If parking is truly random, and you've replaced the motor, check for voltage at the park terminal of the motor. If I'm reading the 95 FSM schematic right, you should look for a light-green and black wire on the connector at the motor. IN any case, with ignition on and wiper switch off, you should be able to find one terminal on the connector that is +12 volts. If you don't, your wipers won't park.

When the park contact on my 87 was burned out, the wipers did not park, but still stopped in the right place on intermittent, because it seems there is yet another contact in there that told the delay module when the wipers were down, but they definitely should park with the module removed unless there's a problem in the motor or the wiring to it.

Park problems are pretty common here in the snow belt, because the wipers will freeze or be blocked by snow and ice. You turn off the wipers, forgetting that the park circuit is still busily trying to park the motor as long as the ignition is on. Usually there's a safety factor built in, and rather than burning out the motor, it burns out or warps the park contact in the motor.

I bought a 2001 XJ and its also lacking the intermediate function and the park function. So I will need to get a new windshield wiper motor and control box? Where can a control box be had? I don't see one in partsamerica or autozones websites

I'm not sure whether the setup is the same in the 2001 as it was in the older ones, with a delay control stuck under the dash. On those, you can remove the delay module, and plug the harness back together without it. This will allow you immediately to diagnose motor problems.

If your motor does not park, but works otherwise, it might be worthwhile taking it out and opening it up. If the motor has been forcibly stalled by ice or the like, it will sometimes not quite burn out the contact, but just scorch it or cause it to curl up and lose contact. If so you can fix it.

I'm just inside for the moment taking a snack and tea break as I add a leaf to my rear springs and replace my shocks, so I don't have the time to muddle through the badly organized 99 FSM, but I will do so later, and see if I can get some diagnostic wisdom from it.

Ok, I'm back in from my home made add-a-leaf project, and looking at the FSM.

Unfortunately, it's pretty clear that the design was changed in 97, and the delay module is now built into the wiper switch.

If I read the diagrams right (not guaranteed) it looks as if you should get the park signal on motor terminal 1 (dark blue). It should be +12 volts with ignition on independent of the wiper switch. If you don't get it there, check the other terminals in case my reading is wrong, but there should be a +12 volt park voltage at the motor. If not, you'll need to check the wiring. If there is, and the motor doesn't park, it's the motor. If there is no voltage, you need to trace the wiring back to the junction block, where it should run off the same circuit breaker as the motor does.

According to the FSM, the motor these days has a self-resetting circuit breaker, and is "non repairable." I don't know if it's actually changed since the old pre-97 motor, which could at least be opened. I know the "non repairable" rear wiper on my 99 is actually riveted together, and in order to lube the shaft I had to mill the rivets out and replace them later with screws. However, if the cover over the gearbox is still attached with screws, it's worth opening up and seeing if you can tweak the contacts. If it's riveted, you're on your own. Beware of bending the cover, and be prepared to modify screw heads to fit the contours when you put it back together.

Thank you for the advice! I guess its time to crack into it next weekend. Are the Haynes manuals any good for these?

Thank you for the advice! I guess its time to crack into it next weekend. Are the Haynes manuals any good for these?
I doubt you'll get much out of the Haynes for this. I don't have one handy to see if it gives you the procedure for actually removing the wiper motor and linkages, but that's not too difficult to figure out. Haynes is usually pretty poor on wiring, because they cover too many different models.

I am guessing the 99 and 2001 are pretty similar, so if you need any wiring diagrams, etc. or instructions for getting the switch out, let me know and I might be able to find what's needed in my FSM.

Back