• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Removal

old88xj

NAXJA Forum User
title says it all

I know about the speaker wire and power window and locks wiring along with the power mirror wires. I know how to do that.

What i want to know is how hard it is to remove them, the process for removal, reinstallation and that process also.

And what about making some sort of tube frame to put in if i can scrounge up some junk brackets. The law in my neck of the woods is pretty picky when it comes to mods and what they deem "unsafe or illegal" so i want to be "street legal."

door removal

it's pretty straight forward as far as removal, you just need a torx with a long shaft to reach the bolts the easiest way I found was to do the alignment and final tightening with the door closed by puting the torx socket through the holes in the hinge (this does require removing the inner fender liner) it takes awhile to get it right but that's basically how I do it.

I cut the bottom half off the hinges and sanded down the roll pin a little bit to make it slide out easily. When I remove the doors I disconnect the wiring and lift the doors up & off just like a CJ/YJ/TJ. Hasn't affected the way the doors function at all in 3 years.

door removal

that sound pretty cool I'll have to think about that when I get ready to make som tube doors

well good news and bad....1300 to fix bottom half of motor but might not fix all problems so now i am at a point as to what to do shelf it and fix it myself or sell it or have the shop do it???decisions decisions

One tip on lining the doors back up perfecly with no hassle.

What I did is spray some new paint on and around the hinges. when you go to bolt them back up it is easy to just line up the parts with were the lines in the paint are.

Have only done my drivers as well, much better ventilation and visibility though.

Andy

I removed the door, cut the hinge, and shortened the pins some. I then lined the hinges back up on the door and tightened them down. Lift them onto the xj

Another tip, make the lower pin a hare longer. this way you can start the bottom and then whith it held in place start the top one in.

Andy

Back