• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine check light comes on after re-fill

jeepboy_gta

NAXJA Forum User
need some help, For the past the few weeks, the engine check light comes after I re-fill the tank with gasoline. It usually goes after the fourth to fitfth time I start the engine. The delaership claims I don't close the fuel cap properly, which is nonsense I am not that stupid. The last time it happend, the
fuel level was just above a quarter full. I know the pressure in the fuel tank
is postive because when I opend that cap I could hear the air rushing out.

The dealer only correct sthe sympton of the problem. Anybody have ideas,
could it be a sensor in the fuel tank.

It is 6 cyclinder 2004 TJ/Wrangler. I want to go into the dealership with
some amnunition to back up my warranty claim. It costing $100.oo a pop to have it 'reset'.
Thanks

Hey,

Try a different cap and see what happens. Maybe this one isn't sealing as well as it should.

Thx, Phil

Wow, they bent you over. A good ODBII diagnostic tool like the 9135 Actron can be had for 100-150, then you can reset the light yourself, dump codes to see what's causing it, etc. If it's throwing codes under warantee, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. You'll also need the tool to figure out what codes the vehicle is giving.

Back