• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My stereo killed my battery

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
For christmas I got a new 200w Pioneer deh-p3700MP headunit, a Jensen 425w 2 channel amp, and a 10" MTX sub for my 1989 Cherokee.

Yesterday I drive around bit listening to my 'jamz' if I may call them that, with the amp at about 3/4 Power, headunit up at about 75% and I'm having a good time, and it's working pretty good.

Today I go to a friend's house, show him the stereo without the engine running for no more than 5 minutes. We go to best buy in his car, and come back and nothing, the fuel pump hums and then it won't crank over. I jumpstart it, and drive home thinking it'll just charge back up.

I get home, get ready for work, and have to jump it again using one of those little mobile jumper packs, and decide to bring it with me. I then have to jump start it when I leave work, and again when I go to autozone, and again when I go to get gas, and when I get home to see if it's charged at all. This whole time I haven't had the stereo or any accessories on to help with chargage.

I then try to charge the battery with an old battery charger from the stone age, that despite being old as shit, still works like a charm. When I hook it up to the battery, it buzzes like I have the polarity crossed. My dad says he thinks it's discharging itself, not good.

So what can I do? I'm going to turn the amp down for now, and use the battery that was in my mom's old BMW tomorrow, but is my batt fried? What is at fault here? Can my alternator not keep up? When driving around after getting it started it's just fine unless I need a big current draw, like turning on the headlights.

Now I admit, it's a new toy and I've ran the amp a bit hard, and I'm positive that everything is hooked up correctly, I have an 8 gauge wire going to the positive terminal of the battery, and an 8 gauge ground, as well as 12 gauge wire going to the sub.

Now i'm just afraid that I won't be able to enjoy the sweet sweet sounds of Del tha Funkee Homosapien anymore :(

use your moms battery and use your stereo just like you would normally. if the battery goes dead then you probably have a bad alternator. if it stays charged then your old battery is probably fried. i got a new battery last week for $58.

Back