• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Carnage.

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, here's something I don't see too much of.......a trashed ARB side gear, and on my own diff at that! Must have broken it on the Con last weekend, never noticed it except for some clicking while turning under power. Locker continued to operate as normal. Opened the cover because the sounds were getting louder.

I'll be on the phone to the ARB folks tomorrow and see if they'll warranty it. Been in the diff for 4 years now, under extreme abuse, so even if I have to buy the parts, I won't feel hosed.

Luckily it didn't suck the broken teeth into the ring and pinion. The rest of the side gears got trashed, however.

picture.JPG

CRASH

What axle,gears.and tires?????

CRASH, you're an animal. What the heck did you do on the 'Con that would have caused that?

Ten days............. :eek:

Oops, sorry for the lack of detail.

80 to 1 gearing, Ford 8.8 diff.

Richard, the only thing I can remember being especially tough on it would have been the 6 redline launches through the mud bog down at Rubicon springs. I took bad line through the mud portion and there was no way to back out, so I had to rev launch it a couple of times. I may have hit a bit of traction in third gear low range at 5,000 rpm?????:confused:

The only other thing was my usual Ivan Stewart driving on the Tahoe side access road. :D I only got a little bit of air in the whoops section though, so I don't think that could have done it.

Could just be years of abuse added up to metal fatigue, and then one shock load did it. I have a feeling ARB is going to want to have a look at it.

CRASH

Thats a little surprising I knew the older 8.8 ones had some issues but I thought it was more the case going kablooy.

You just wanted a one piece case and what not after seing mine right? Did mine have the 3 pinions as well, its a gen II unit?

Yes, all Gen II units are three pinion. He said they designed the Gen II units not for offroaders, but for the mustang drag race crowd. Apperantly, they were killing the Gen I's with big horsepower and wide slicks.

He said it broke when it was in open mode, or I engaged it under too much power. I never engage when I'm moving (usually), so unless I f-ed up and hit the button at the wrong moment, it's still a mystery.

CRASH

Back