• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECU swap

MOOSE16285

NAXJA Forum User
Got a few questions... I got a 1990 Sport 4.0L 4x4... I bought a new ECU from a 1990 4.0L Cheif... Are these two swappable?

I have no idea if that Jeep was 4x4, would this affect the compatibility?

Does anything about the t-case/4WD every run any kind of input or "speaks" to the ECU at all?

If so will this cause problems if the original Jeep was 2Wd and I put this in a 4WD?!

Some of yall have helped me before so lemme remind everyone who I am... Take a look...

j935gz.jpg

as long as the full drivetrain of both vehicles matches i'd expect it to work. i'd be more concerned with the tranny matchng. the 2WD / 4WD issue could be a problem but i have no idea.

So, unofficially, since both are 4.0L autos I should be, and hoping, I'm okay to continue with the swap once the new ECU arrives... Awesome, if I find anything out I'll let ya know and if you or anyone else has anymore ideas lemme know! -MOOSE

MOOSE16285 said:
So, unofficially, since both are 4.0L autos I should be, and hoping, I'm okay to continue with the swap once the new ECU arrives... Awesome, if I find anything out I'll let ya know and if you or anyone else has anymore ideas lemme know! -MOOSE
If there both automatics your good to go.

It ran for about five mionutes underwater... That was my mistake there... After a week or cleaning it out and replacing parts it finally turned over but no spark...I'm replaced alot of things so now its the ECU's turn to get swapped... It was completely under.... Here's a pic from the inside...

jfyao3.jpg

jfyau0.jpg

Back