• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford F150 Coils <- Owner's Feedback

MyJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking of doing the F150 coils for 2" of front lift. I would like to hear comments and feedback, not from someone that heard something, but from those that ACTUALLY USE THEM please. If you have opinions, please hold off posting. If you have first hand experience, please post up.

Of them, I understand from another user (would have to search it up) that the 1978 F150 2X4 with 302CI coil springs did very good. Of which, I have found a local bone yard that claims to have them via http://car-parts.com.

Thank you for your time,
Andrew

I had them on my MJ, and they were fine. They flexed well, and on the road ride was good. I had Rancho 9000's and had drop brackets, with a... 4 to 5" spacer on top of the spring (homemade of course). The fenders were cut about 4"es, and I ran 36" TSL's

The only extra weight on the front was about a 100 pound bumper.

MyJeepXJ said:
Of them, I understand from another user (would have to search it up) that the 1978 F150 2X4 with 302CI coil springs did very good.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I don't think that the 78 F-150 ever came with a 302. Should be either a 351M/400M engine. I could be wrong though so correct me if I am. Could be possible that with the larger, mostly cast iron motor, the coils might be stiffer for the extra weight.

AZ XJ said:
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I don't think that the 78 F-150 ever came with a 302. Should be either a 351M/400M engine. I could be wrong though so correct me if I am. Could be possible that with the larger, mostly cast iron motor, the coils might be stiffer for the extra weight.

I'm correcting you, you are wrong. :)

The 351/400 combo was offered in 1979. I think prior to that was 360/390..

<edit>
I stand semi corrected. 302 was offered in F150's in 1970. In 77, 351 and 400 were added, and the 360 and 390 were dropped. 302 was an option all along though.

Last edited:
cal said:
I'm correcting you, you are wrong. :)

The 351/400 combo was offered in 1979. I think prior to that was 360/390..

<edit>
I stand semi corrected. 302 was offered in F150's in 1970. In 77, 351 and 400 were added, and the 360 and 390 were dropped. 302 was an option all along though.

Ok, that sounds right. I was pretty sure that the 360/390 were dropped pre 78 around the time when they updated the grill and headlights. However, I didn't know that the 302 was an option. Is it possible that it was only offered in 2wd applications or with just the F series? I've been involved with 78/79 Bronco's for awhile and I know that those never came with the 302 as an option. Sorry for the post hi-jack.

The 1990-92 f250 coils give about 2"s of lift, they're not as long as the stock xj coils but they dont compress close to the amount the xj's do which gives the lift. Im running them right now with a 2" coil spacer for about 3.5-4"s.They're definitely stiffer than the stock coils but still give a decent ride.

Thanks to all that replied. I ended up going with the Teraflex BB1X BB, I couldnt piece together coils and AAL for that little $$$, and its going to be an easier install (on the rear at least). Ill retain my current ride and handling, so that will be good. Im really only looking to get 2" for a more aggressive stance, and later I can add F150 coils on it with AAL and get more (1-2") if I want.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Back