• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5/4 point harnesses recommendations

allthingsoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
what brand of 5/4 point harnesses are the best (for the buck) looking for a some to use with a dandc extreme cage on a budget...
any one have any links?
dnc205c.jpg

Nothing but Simpson for me. I had them in my 1/4 miler and in most Jeeps I have had. Great place to get them is at the local 1/4 mile weekends. NHRA/IHRA mandate the racers replace them every few years, so they usually get rid of them for a fair price. Ask around in the pits, or keep your eyes on Ebay if you choose to go for the used route. Most times, the sellers will post good pics of their used harnesses. Looking for a new one? Summit or Jeg's.

-Rich

Rev Den said:
I run RCI...been very happy.

Rev

X2 on RCI...

I ran them in my stock car years ago. Every bit as good as the top names in my opinion. Definetely go with a 5-point...if anything, the sub-belt keeps the lap belt from riding up when you tighten up the shoulder belts.

I've even seen some 6 points out there. But yeah, go with 5 (or better). 4 points let you submarine way too eaily. Before shoulder belts, lap belts in the late 60's started paying a lot more attention to the anti-sub principle. I know loads of people running the RCI's without a problem. Realistically, how much are you willing to skimp on something that will easily save your ass? $100 is cheap insurance for my ass, as far as I'm concerned.

-Rich

I ran the cam-lock RJS 4/pt in the CJ.... I felt the big issue was coming out of the shoulder belt in the event of a roll. I was less concerned with sliding out of the bottom while in 4 low.

Here is the link http://www.rjsracing.com/5point.html

I would also recommend that you use a racing seat. There is nothing worst than hitting a bump having the seat springs compress and then rebound you into the harness. Things were much better when I went to the Hunsaker High back race seats.

http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=223

When cinched down correctly the ride did not have heavy bumps. The suspension did what it was suppose to do. And you were not bouncing around in the seats.

Crow enterprizes! 45$ for a 4point with auto latch. So much easier to latch and takes no fumbling to get it latched and unlatched.

I payed 45$ each set of 4 point in 2" with all mounting tabs/eye's. They are local though so that didnt include shipping but did include tax.

They have every style and color and width of belts / harnesses.

www.crowenterprizes.com

wow can you get me that price... all i see is 5 way and there 70 bucks

ROBERTK said:
Crow enterprizes! 45$ for a 4point with auto latch. So much easier to latch and takes no fumbling to get it latched and unlatched.

I payed 45$ each set of 4 point in 2" with all mounting tabs/eye's. They are local though so that didnt include shipping but did include tax.

They have every style and color and width of belts / harnesses.

www.crowenterprizes.com

allthingsoffroad said:
how much you pay?

I bought them 10-11 years ago

I had the full 3 inch wide that was Mil Spec, NASA, NASCAR, IHRA, USAC ect... certified. The date of manufacture was included. I think that they were in the 80-90 range. This was at a local hot rod shop. I also got the seats for 40-50 range and the covers I think for a 20 spot.

Another thing to cosider is mud, sand and other debris in the latch/lock...

RJS also has these.

http://www.rjsracing.com/offroad.html Likely cheaper than the full 3 inch harnesses.

I suggest spending some time at http://www.summitracing.com/

I use RJS but I don't think it matters.
Face it, they are all overbuilt for the kind of roll we might experience.
These things are built for high speed somersaults.
Unless you're desert racing, nothing you do in an XJ will come close to making the brand of harness a issue.

To be honest, the cheap click-in kind might be the way to go.
You might be more inclined to snap in the shoulder straps if it's easier to do.

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
I use RJS but I don't think it matters.
Face it, they are all overbuilt for the kind of roll we might experience.
These things are built for high speed somersaults.
Unless you're desert racing, nothing you do in an XJ will come close to making the brand of harness a issue.

I do agree....My RJS were way more than I really needed.

kid4lyf said:
To be honest, the cheap click-in kind might be the way to go.
You might be more inclined to snap in the shoulder straps if it's easier to do.

Nope.

I had those before, never again. Total PITA in every sense of the phrase.

Rev

Back