• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rausch Trail Cutting

Lynn

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone interested in helping me cut trails at Rausch? I'll be there the next two Sundays, Nov. 10th and 17th, trying to get two trails cut before winter. I'll be at the motocross check-in at 9:00 a.m.

Lynn:

I definitely can't make the 10th, but the 17th is a possibility (unless I'm in VT, or haven't replaced my spare yet) - I'll let you know definitely by the 14th. Great place up there, looking forward to help expanding the trails.

Mike in NJ

I may be there one of those days do i have to let u know before hand or can i just show up at the MX track by 9?

Thanks

-John

You can just show up. I'll be there no matter who else shows up.

here's a sample of some of the terrain of the new trail: this is actually kind of mild compared to the rest of the rocks I found.

[img:1310703c1e]http://photos.imageevent.com/tealj/scouting/websize/DSC00081.JPG[/img:1310703c1e]

The trail starts out weaving into the forest and through a mudhole, then turns slightly uphill through rocks like the picture above. Then there's some wide open forest leading towards a hillside. Then the trail will lead away from the hillside and towards a rockfield and small creek. The rockfield is about the size of two football fields laid one above the other. A very large square. I frankly don't know yet how the trail will go through here. I've never had such a large area to deal with. Usually you find rockfields that run like a narrow creek bed. This is the opposite. Suggestions from those who show up will help shape how this trail ends up being.

ACK! I hate rocks like that!

I'm serious, Lynn. :(

We all know I'm never building my Jeeps any bigger. Those are just nuisance rocks. They're easy, but you have to be paying close attention. They shake your Jeep all around, and clunk and bump your underside when your Zen-like focus starts to fade. Sometimes you get snagged on one ... and you wonder, "What in the hell is that sound?" ... and then you realize: "Oh, I can tell from the resonance that I'm hitting my crossmember skid!", or "Oh, thats a gas tank.", or "Oh, thats a diff!" ... and then, to make it worse, you had Five Alive for breakfast this morning, and you get the runs, and then you have to focus on navigating those little annoying rocks.

I like BIG HONKIN ROCKS ... just like the ones you just saw in Tellico. I only like wheelin on no more than two BIG rocks at a time. :) Even in my little TJ, I have more fun picking lines up big wacked-ass hard looking rocks ... lets say, Upper Wampum style terrain, ya know?

Lynn ... I'm gonna have to see how it goes, but you've got a definate maybe from me for the 10th. I have another gig pending, and I'd have to clear it with pregnant girl.

This is why we need more people to get involved! Get a hold of Bruce and go scouting and find what you like. :)

Am I correct that Rausch Creek is farther south along I-81 than Paragon -- which means coming from Connecticut via Scranton it's farther for me? Can anyone give me an idea how much farther it would be?

Eagle - I believe it about another 35 +/- miles down 81, and then 2 minutes to the park from there. So you are probably looking at maybe another 30-35 minutes from the Paragon exit to the Rausch Creek exit.

[quote:b41b5bbc1e="cshontz"]ACK! I hate rocks like that!

I'm serious, Lynn. :(

[/quote:b41b5bbc1e]

Your not too fond of muddy, steep hillclimbs either are ya?...Dont deny it, i'v got video to prove it!! :twisted:

Input from the southern hemisphere:

tell your pre-runners to Just Nail It! Cut half of the smaller trees they hit away and hang markers on half of the larger ones.

XJ door handles are as rugged as the rest of the Jeep. Trees are to VA like Rocks are to Tellico. (spectator sport :twisted: ) I am hoping to find PA has both in mass quantities. I get to ride with Hunter (Mr Nice Paint Job) this time I hope.

Woody.

[quote:e8a7cad065="John B"]Your not too fond of muddy, steep hillclimbs either are ya?...Dont deny it, i'v got video to prove it!![/quote:e8a7cad065]

That was fun, John!

I usually prefer having traction, but I still thoroughly enjoy "not-making-it". When you walk right up something effortlessly, you don't generate any stories to tell around the campfire or dinner table! :)

Bob Lester and I will be there on the 17th packing chainsaws. Do we need to bring anything else?Can we get directions from 81 from you?

Gary D.

From Route 81, take Exit 107. At the end of the off-ramp, you'll see a small sign that says "Rausch Creek Motorsports Park". Go LEFT. The entrance is only a few hundred feet from the off-ramp on your left. You'll need to sign a waiver at the office.

Thanks Lynn,sure there isnt something else we can bring? Happy to help.

Loppers and chainsaws should be enough.

I got the first installment of my trail done today. So you guys next week can be the guinea pigs and run it. I tried to keep it wide and avoid super tight turns. It's mildly rocky with a couple places where those so inclined can take a harder line.

The second installment is roughly flagged out. It is not as rocky, but it climbs gradually up a hillside and back down again. Overall, this trail will be fun for just about everybody but the absolute stocker.

Hope to see many of you next weekend. I may not have my cherokee next week, I got a rollcage for it and it might be at Bumblebee's as soon as next weekend getting installed. :roll:

Back