• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon retainer plates for disk conversion

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I took the rubi retainer and the retainer from a spare 44 shaft I have and I tried to get two holes to line up and I couldn't: Are all the holes off a bit? During install of disks did any of the holes had to be egged out? I am trying to get everything ready without pulling my jeep appart so that when I"m ready it all just bolts (kind of) on.

Also it seems that the holes on the Rubi plate were drilled out crooked in relation to the rectangular shape the retainer is. Don't they have a straight edge at the factory?

If you want to adapt the rubi plates to the D44 you have, which I think is the best way to go, you have to drill two new holes, and enlarge the remaining two. The same goes for the new brake bracket/dust shield if you are using a D35 disc set up. If Im correct, the rubi 44 has the same bolt pattern as a D35... Be sure that you keep the main holes in the rubi plate, and the brake bracket centered or you can end up with a goofed up mess. Have fun! You'll love it when its done.

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
If you want to adapt the rubi plates to the D44 you have, which I think is the best way to go, you have to drill two new holes, and enlarge the remaining two.
That's what I was looking for. For some reason I thought that two of the holes were direct match. I might be half tempted to "weld shut" parts of the holes that need to be enlarged and completely weld up the holes that will not be used.

You could weld the holes I suppose. Drilling through the welds will be alittle tougher. I used a metal bit from home depot that was made for a dremel drill, and put it in my drill press. Looks like an end mill bit. Used a "plunging" action to make the enlarged holes...so they looked more like figure 8's than eggs. Wish I took pics. Also, if you want, you can get some quick steel. Comes in a tube and is a putty. That stuff dries really hard, and stand up to alot of PSI. I used it just for the heck of it even though I dont think it was necessary. I also filled the ABS sensor hole with it. Was able to file it and make the holes disappear with only about 15 minutes of drying time.

Justin

Back