• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low pinion or high pinion?

;your axle is the same as wranglers use...so I guess its ok. ya think? The advantage is the HP has better Driveline angle and a bit stronger

Like he said...it all depends on what you wanna do with the rig. But, I wouldn't mess around with it just to gain a little strength, u-joint clearance or driveline angle. And if I was gonna build the rig, I'd swap out for a 44 anyway. Just my pennies...

-Rich

Yeah, with 35's and lower gears I would seriously consider swapping your front axle out. Not so much for the HP vs. LP issue...more for the ring gear and shaft size/spline count. Those 1.16" diameter shafts look smaller and smaller with bigger tires. People have run larger tires on the D30, no doubt. I wouldn't. YMMV.

-Rich

Last edited:
If you had one of each kicking around, sure. I wouldn't think there aould be any reason to go out of your way to do it, though. As for the 35's...that YJ is a lot lighter on a shorter wheelbase (less leverage) than an XJ. Glad you had success earlier...sorry someone stole it...and I hope your good luck keeps up.

-Rich

I am about to do gears as well on my 01 and am definitely switching out the low pinion. I am on 3.5 RE and 32" tires and have a drone when in fulltime 4 wheel drive(np242). I am sure that it is the bad driveshaft angle. I picked up a HP for $100 in good condition and am referbuishing it myself using most of the stuff off the lp except ball joints.

Hans

Colorado_XJ said:
If you had one of each kicking around, sure. I wouldn't think there aould be any reason to go out of your way to do it, though. As for the 35's...that YJ is a lot lighter on a shorter wheelbase (less leverage) than an XJ. Glad you had success earlier...sorry someone stole it...and I hope your good luck keeps up.

-Rich

YJ's are heavier than XJ's, crazy ain't it?!

Now..that said... How was the YJ geared, that makes a big difference.

If you keep a 30 up there I'd try to find a free HP one (not that impossible), all you need is the housing, you can swap in your shafts and knuckles (keep in mind that the knuckles have gone through at least one revision so in order to keep your slightly better brakes and simplify the job just use your knuckles).

If you want to run deep gears and think you'll be beating on it I wouldn't spend the money on the 30 personally, but you've already heard that :laugh3:

What rear axle you running?

HP is better than LP, for slightly better gear strength, and for better ground clearance for the shaft and better pinion angles. So, it's better....they are cheap, a dime a dozen....so why not? You don't need it, but don't you do many improvements to your rig for better performance? The HP is better.

Just do it! :)

exgreenjeep said:
i have a 2001 xj with the low pinion 30 should i swap in a high pinion 30 or is the low pinion ok?

Just make sure you have enough clearance with the exhaust manifold if you're staying close to stock ride height. I was thinking about swapping in a HP in my 2000 for more strength, but the manifold looks like it might interfere without a lift.

Capt. Nemo said:
Just make sure you have enough clearance with the exhaust manifold if you're staying close to stock ride height. I was thinking about swapping in a HP in my 2000 for more strength, but the manifold looks like it might interfere without a lift.
That's why DC changed from HP to LP. If you lift then HP is fine.

exgreenjeep said:
i have a 2001 xj with the low pinion 30 should i swap in a high pinion 30?

At ~4"+ w/the hp30, the world is a happy place. Squeezing in an hp9" on the other hand...

GSequoia said:
YJ's are heavier than XJ's, crazy ain't it?!

Ummm...yes. Just out of curiosity, how much does one weigh? I know what my 4 door 4WD XJ weighs, stock( my '99 4d 4WD is 3386). But I never though that with all that extra metal and crap, it would be lighter than a YJ. I learned something today!

-Rich

Huh, I used to have a '94 Wrangler 4WD and the owner's manual says the curb weight is 2986. A 4 door 4WD XJ weighs less than that? My buddy's '05 Rubi Unlimited manual says it weighs 3621. Which is understandable with the bigger axles and the longer wheelbase.

Last edited:
exgreenjeep said:
i ran 35's on my yj for 4 years, so i'm not concerned about 35's on the 30

So why you asking if 35's on the LP 30 is OK?

-Rich

cause i have only had a hp 30 and abused it quite well before it got stolen. i now have a xj with a lp 30 and i wondered if i could switch to hp instead of lp to improve before it became a problem

Yes you can run 35"s on the LP D30. I have a customer that abuses his TJ on a regular basis. he has 4.56's auto and detroits front and rear. I have however seen a 4.88 gearset in a LP D30 bust.. .its sitting on the bench right now.
The 4.56's is a safe bet in that axle.
and if something does f up.... then you can swap the axle and only be out the gearset an labor to put it in.

Back