• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on lift w/ stock tires

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok, simple question, and i know that this is all based on opinion, but what do you guys think about me putting on my junkyard lift with the stock size tires on it? i will most likely be getting the new tires soon, but i am gonna have time to do the lift before that, so i wanted to knock that out so the tires fit when i get 'em. does anyone by chance have a pic of their rig lifted on the stockers?

I'd say that if you have time to do it now, do it now. You'll get a few funny looks and people telling you to get bigger tires (ran my 4.5 lift for quite a while with 30x9.5s) but the real wheelers out there will understand the process. They'll still laugh, but they'll understand.

jeepright2gs.jpg

I ran 215's on my Rusty's 3" kit before I got my 31's. It'll look funny, but who cares.

hey thanks. yea well i am alone for today, no family in San Diego, and no one's house to go to. So i figured i got a case of beer here and nothing to do, might as well put em on.

yea im in the same boat...some ok condition bfg a/t's of the 30x9.5" persuasion....but i got my 6.5" rustys lift and sye/ds en route...and no money for bigger tires. its gonna be one funny lookin jeep for a little while

I did the same thing.... It was just under a year between the lift and the new tires...

After.JPG

A few more leafs in the back and it now looks more like this.

newtires.JPG

Lift then tires a bit later is fairly common.

i ended up not doing it today becasue i realized that my friend with the grinder is out of town so i have no way to cut the eyelets off the S10 leafs. damn, gonna have to wait anyways. i guess i coulda done the front and had it lookin all stupid with a cali lift, but i'll wait.

I ran a 2" spacer out front and nothing in the rear of my MJ for a long while. That was with 225s. Theyre bald, so I picked up some black steelies and 215s off a ranger for the winter for $20. Got the rear lifted, and here I sit with 2" all the way around and 215s. Spring will bring me 30s.

Ya, I drove around with my 4.5 inch lift with stock tires for about a month or so, looked pretty funny and got some looks, especially from my friends. Everyone thought my car was sick though after the tires went on, and as for the other people, who cares, they don't know what your jeep will be able to do now with the lift.

Lift before tires is a much better idea than letting new big tires rub while you save $$ for lift - and much easier than going a while with a perfectly good lift sitting in the garage. I did it for over a year with 3" and 235s. The lift helps a lot on the trail even with little tires! you'll be surprised..
I don't think it looks too terrible myself. I waited to cut the fenders until I could afford the tires, and would reccomend that if you're worried about how it will look.

Can't see too well in these pics but I hope it helps some. Do it!!
waterfall.jpg

RockerEater2.jpg

Back