• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading to 4.5 lift

ive allways been happy with my rustys kit, though some swear by the rubicon express kits. Why dont you search?

If anyone can help, let me know. My local club has our first event of the year coming up, and I'm wanting to get this done before the 2nd week of january.

I run a Black mountain made by Collins Brothers. Fairly cheap and holds up quite well.

I just ordered an RE-6200 through RABROWN. Haven't installed it yet, but the quality of the RE stuff is nice. The 6200 is advertised at 5.5 inches, but we subbed 4.5" springs, and I'm leaving the shackles off for 4.5" total. I've been researching this stuff for a couple months. Here's why I went with the RE kit.

A. Drop brackets. This keeps the angle of the control arms close to stock, and from everyone I've talked to who's put them in, it's night and day in the handling/ride.

B. HD track bar. The stock trackbar on mine is worn, as is the rest of the front end parts. Just looking at the stock design, you think, why did they put a ball joint style connection to the frame vs going with a bushing that would allow the track bar to have vertical movement as the suspension moves. If I was to replace mine, I wanted something that was better designed, and the 6200 kit had it.

Those are the main two reasons I did the RE kit. I have 31's now, and plan on no bigger than 33's down the road. I know, I know... Quote me on that. :)

Word of mouth around here has nothing bad to say about RE. Ryan gave me a good deal on the kit and the shocks, so I went for it. We'll see in a month or so how it turns out.

Mark

I cannot stand my Rubicon Express leafs. It took them 2 months to sag(unevenly) and warp. Part of it is me not running an anti wrap bar. They dont ride that great either compared to OME leafs.

The OME stuff is supposed to be pretty soft. My other toy is an SCCA STS Civic Si, it'll pull a G in the corners, but the ride is a bit on the stiff. side. :) Figure the anything I do to the jeep, it'll never be as stiff as the car. :) FWIW, I bought it with a 2" OME kit on it already. There'll probably be some OME springs on the used market soon.

Mark

Are you looking for a “kit” or just the parts? I’m running RE 4.5” ZJ coils and enough extra leaves in the rear to level it out. The only things extra required are longer brake lines. Everything can be used as is and I ran mine that way for a while. I’ve since put in adjustable upper control arms because I wanted to, not that I had to. Eventually it will get adjustable lower control arms and track bar, but it rides fine so there’s no hurry. It makes for a really cheap lift that works surprising well. BTW it is pretty close to 5" with a heavy bumper and 12K winch.

I wouldn't do Rusty's with that much lift and short arms. You will blow the bushings out of control arms quickly. I would go with RE,RK anyone else for a kit. WHat do you have on there now as a 3" If it's full coils/leafs than just add a spacer up front and a shackle in the back to get you around 5".

markw said:
The OME stuff is supposed to be pretty soft. My other toy is an SCCA STS Civic Si, it'll pull a G in the corners, but the ride is a bit on the stiff. side. :) Mark

Kinda OT but you got specs/pics of that ride? In april I sold my 99 Civic SI, wan't anything super fast but a fun car. H&R springs, AEM intake, DC Sports Header, Magnaflow exhaust, Alpine DVD setup, etc. etc.

I also just recently got rid of a 98 Integra Type R, tokico coilovers, 2001 cams, crower titanium springs/retainers, STR cam gears, DC fuel rail, DC header, Mugen ECU, 01 gunmetal wheels, etc. etc.

IMG_1271.jpg

itr4sale02.jpg

I have some pic of my jeep but don't have time to put them on right now. That's a pretty nice import, but I've been a mustang man since I was 16, i've got an 88gt with over 400 ponies in her, and way to much $$$. That's why I'm playing with the jeep now, it seems cheaper..... well right now. That's what I want my wife to think! LOL

I don't know about that, 1 of the guys in my club has a wrangler with all kinds of stuff done including an atlas 2 and he has'nt spent anywhere close to what I have in the mustang!!!

Twistedimg said:
Kinda OT but you got specs/pics of that ride? In april I sold my 99 Civic SI, wan't anything super fast but a fun car. H&R springs, AEM intake, DC Sports Header, Magnaflow exhaust, Alpine DVD setup, etc. etc.

I also just recently got rid of a 98 Integra Type R, tokico coilovers, 2001 cams, crower titanium springs/retainers, STR cam gears, DC fuel rail, DC header, Mugen ECU, 01 gunmetal wheels, etc. etc.

Not going to post pics here, however. Specs are, stock. :) D16A6, DC header, AEM CAI, neuspeed strut bar, Ground controls with 500lb rear, 430 front, ST 22mm rear sway bar, HF front swaybar, koni sports with the GC hats, rear camber adjusters set at -2.5, and ride height at 5". It'd make a good articulation ramp for a jeep event. :) It's still carrying the AC, however it does do ok locally. My region (San Diego), has the STS national champ, and the 4th place runner from this year (again, my ecu's). I usually lag those guys/gals by a couple seconds, but any of them can hop in the car and run within a couple tenths of what they turn in they're car, so it's not the car.

Pics are here:

http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery2/v/civicsi/

It's sporting a Momo wheel, and driver seat now.

Mark

Back