• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good front tow point?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well after looking around i see everyone say to get good tow points front and rear before going out on te trails. well on my XJ i have a tow package, is that good enough? So what should i do for the front now? Am i gonna have to drop 400 bucks for a new bumper or what?

Go to the junkyard, the NAXJA 4-sale page, or eBay and get the factory tow hook setup. Try the Dealership, but most don't carry it any more and it is expensive there. You will need the ones for 1997 and newer.
standard.jpg

if ya are thinking of installing a new bumper go that route just make sure the bumper uses a good mounting plate. but for less money you can go with tow hook brackets. a simple search on google will yeild ya some results. whatever ya do do not mount tow hooks to the uniframe or bumper without the proper bracing to support them.

Your rear receiver is fine for a rear tow point. I will offer another option for the front. A front receiver. I like the receiver better than tow hooks. Its more useful and stronger than tow hooks. It does have draw backs though, its a little more $$$, it only offers one centered attachment point and eats up a little approach angle.

Ray H said:
It does have draw backs though, its a little more $$$, it only offers one centered attachment point.

My front drawtite has chain attachment points on each end of the hitch.

GI-John said:
My front drawtite has chain attachment points on each end of the hitch.

my DrawTite does also, Im just not sure I trust them for recovery.

zfinger said:
I like my Drawtite in the front, but installing it sucks hardcore.
HPIM1300.jpg
Thats a good shot of how far it hangs down, or how far it doesnt. Its really no lower than the air dam under the bumper.
Why was your install so bad? I think mine went pretty well but that was 8 years ago.

I run a Draw tite as well, And love it. It will make the front frame area Stiffer which is a good thing. also if you beat on yours like i do mine it will protect the botom of the radiator.

I have the front hitch also, got it from e-trailer.com, works great and have done some seriously hard snatches with it. A bit of a PITA to get on, im not sure if the one i got in the mail was for a 96 or older but i had to clearance the bottom of the radiator support. Other than that its way better than the factory cheesy tow hook setup. About 110$ if i remember?

Ray H said:
my DrawTite does also, Im just not sure I trust them for recovery.

They work fine. (don't ask how I know) :laugh3:

Just a note If you do go with the hitch pull the front bumper it's held by 4 or 6 bolts cann't remember kind hard to get your hand in to them but saves a lot of time and head aches took me about 45 minutes to in stall.

cshontz: Nice job making it look clean. Cutting out around the hitch was a pain in the butt... I did it with the trim piece still in place. Then when I added a c-rok steering reinforcment bracket, I had to space the hitch down about 3/16 of and inch or so...so I had to make that cut out even worse.

Another vote for the draw tite hitch as a front two point. Ive had to make a few pulls using it and its held up nice. I dont know if Ide trust those safety chain loops on the side. In fact I thought about cutting mine off...but I never bothered.

Ignore the poser shot :)

648974_70_full.jpg

Justin

cool, thanks. looks like i'll just check out one of the Draw Tites then. a new bumper will be down the road when i have the $$, but not for now.

Another vote for the front receiver hitch or an aftermarket bumper, they are a lot stronger than the tow hook set up. I have the Custom 4x4 tow hook brackets on mine and the driver’s side bent. Granted I was stuck pretty badly, but I figured the bolts would shear before the bracket bent. If I could figure out how to post pictures I’d put it up here for you to see.

wow thanks guys i really like the hitch idea way better than hooks, since i have a smitty built bumper :( o well i thought they would hang down waaaaay lower. anyone have pics of how it actually hooks up to the jeep?

what about side pulls and such?????

http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=65009&vehicleid=1580&yearfrom=1990&h=e

this looks like a pretty good deal to me this is the actual one for a 90 jeep cherokee 110 bucks you cant go wrong

now would it be wise to get a winch reciever and have a type of quick disconnect mounted behind the grill and hook your winch to it? that would be cool because then you can move your winch front to back wherever its needed (iknow their heavy but it would be nice to have the option to do so)

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/m...re_Code=E&Product_Code=6495&Category_Code=FMH

Back