• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Installation PROBLEMS

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
ok got a rustys 2" lift and we got the springs out and the bumpstops off, now we need to get the spacer in and the spring back in, but thats the problem, we cant get this srping back into where its supposed to go with the spacer in place. we rented a spring compressor from autozone, but we can only compress one side and still be able to get the compressor back out of the spring. so what the hell do we do, one guy suggested that we unbolten the lower control arms, how much of a pain are those to get back together? who ever said putting a budget boost on was easy, needs to come over to my house and do this for me, because wit the help of 4 other people, this thing is not working, so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

unblolt the control arms... and you have to work the jack around the axle when working on the right side.. jack up left side of axle vice versa.... only takes a few mins to unbolt LCA's

try to have a buddy put all his weight on the side your workin on. that should get it down pretty low. if not unbolt the control arms. just remember to keep an eye on the brake lines.

It was a pain in the arse to reallign my control arms when I undid mine. I had to use a jack to push the rightside forward. I think maybe disconnecting the control arms as well as the trac bar would help.

My technique is to remove the shock and sway bar first. Then take the XJ jack, invert it and place it to push down from the "frame" to the axle. You then jack the axle down, giving you tons of room and a quick insertion of the spring. It works like a champ. I now use a porta-power instead of the jack, but the technique is the same.

un bolt the track bar and shocks. then put the spring in place (as far in as you can) and use a big dang pry bar the pop the bottom of the spring over the botton spring seat. Very quick and easy. We do the all that way at our shop.

ok WE FINALLY! got the spacers and the springs back in. we ended up having to unbolt the lower control arms, but that wasnt bad at all, but now weve got one more prob. when we were taking off the bolts for the sway bar, one of the bolts ont he passengers side broke off with some thread still in it, and the bolt is messed up kinda bad, not totally, but was wondering what we need to do about that? can we hook up the drivers side of the sway and leave the other side not connected or what? cuz we dont have another bolt that size and we dont know when we can get one and if it will even thread back onto the bolt

ok what if we dont have the tools to do that, what im asking really is , would it be a big prob, if i had the drivers side sway bar connected but the passenger side one wanst bolted on? cuz the bolt is done.

forget the sway bar. if your doing a budget booster then yout looking for only more flex and more clearance for bigger tires. leaving out the sway bar will let your front end flex more, and becasue you didnt lift it very high, it will still handle well on road. if you dont remove the sway bar all together now, then you will end up doing it later when you go bigger. so just remove it now and get it over with. and yes the rear is easyer. but start soaking the bolts now in wd40. go, right now, even if you already are doing it. it needs more for over night. then do it again before you go to bed

stupidfast said:
forget the sway bar. if your doing a budjet booster then yout looking for only more flex and more clearance for bigger tires. leaving out the sway bar will let your front end flex more, and becasue you didnt lift it very high, it will still handle well on road. if you dont remove the sway bar all together now, then you will end up doing it later when you go bigger. so just remove it now and get it over with.

bad advice
Use disconnects.

stupid fast, you are really living up to your name. Driving without a front sway bar is asking for trouble. All is fine until you have to do a panic manuver, then you end up rolling.

Never drive on the road without a sway bar. Offroad is a different matter.

ok well this is what i need to know.... i have the drivers side sway bar connected and the passenger side is NOT connected, because of the broken thread on the thing that connects to the sway bar. now we have the sway bar on that thing with the bushing ontop of it, it just doesnt have a bolt on it. so i just need to know how bad it will be to ride on just the drivers side sway bar connected.

Get disconnects, one of my end links was broken when I got my xj, after I put my lift on I got a set of disconnects. I could not believe how much better my xj handled with the sway bar connected. I never realized that pitching and rolling when turning wasn't the way it was supposed to be. Also, having only one side connected is no better than not having it connected at all. Wing nuts on top of the end links makes a cheap disconnect if you only have two inches of lift.

old_man said:
Never drive on the road without a sway bar. Offroad is a different matter.

alright ill take your word for it then. im still getting introduced to more things in this sport, i must just be getting mixed info

Back