• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stress on control arm mounts while driving?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have been wondering since I am lifted and on 33s now how much more stress is being applied to my LCA and leafspring mount on my XJ? I kept thinking its no different since the weight of the Jeep itself hasn't changed, but then I start confusing myself.

My main point is I cross railroad tracks everyday multiple times and I use to fly over them, but now I am almost like the granny in the old Caddy going over them, lol. Just wondering if there is any real difference in stress when DD a lifted XJ compared to a stocker.

The larger diameter of the tires reduces the rearward force hitting any obstacle. It tends to roll up and over easier. In that respect, you have reduced the shock load of hitting the railroad tracks. By changing the angle of the arm, you have added another component caused by the cosine of the angle of the arm. That is what causes your teeth to rattle when you hit a bump. As the control arm moves up and down, it instantaneously accellerates and decellerates the body.

Either way, don't worry. It will take it.

Back