• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New noise?

jeepboy_90

NAXJA Forum User
My 1998 Xj has just developed and noise that does not sound to good. It is on when you start to accelerate from a stop that it makes the noise. If you take off slow then it does not happen, but if you drive normal than it make the noise. It is coming from right under the gas pedal or shifter area. It sounds like a clunk,clunk till a speed of about 10 mph is hit then it stops.

If you have any ideas please let me know. Frt. Driveshaft feels tight but I might just pull it out to see if that fix the problem. It is ok to run with out the frt. driveshaft?

TX
JED

i would check your tranny mount and motor mounts 1st

i just changed mine this week and my noise went away, it was my exhaust tapping the tranny pan skid plate

Thanks for the intput. I took out the driveshaft and it made no difference. I will look at the exhaust and check my motor mounts, the trans mount feels good, how did you check your engine mounts.

yeah my buddy has a POS van that he got for free with a bad engine mount. its an auto and when he puts it in drive it clunks. its either a motor mount or a tranny mount. just look for where the motor mounts to the body

Back