• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella 500 (driving of fog lioghts)???

Depends upon your purpose.

"Fog" lights will throw a fairly dim, usually amber, beam in a wide, low pattern. I'd not consider it enough to illuminate your trail for off-road navigation, but it gets you through the fog and helps you get noticed.

"Driving" lights throw a concentrated, bright beam a long way straight ahead. Again - not for ground illumination off-road - they're to help you spot road hazzards at high speeds with enough room to do something about them.

Now, for what you're working with, you'll probably want a "work" light - which is actually meant to illuminate an area brightly. Hella models that might work for you would include the #90600, #90601, #90605, #87164, #87167, #87166, or #90628 (from the Hella catalogue - you should have no trouble finding information on their website.)

Granted, tho, that if it's not widely (and locally!) available, it's probably going to be more money than you'd care to spend. However, if you check around for a "Heavy Truck" supplier (big rigs, dump trucks, and like that) you should find lights from Grote or Federal Signal that will fit the bill - and cost about half as much. I tend to use the PAR34 floodlamp for a 12VDC work light, when I need one (I buy 'em by the case, and I'm due for a new case.)

The issue with a "moving" light (like a fog light or a driving light) is that it's not really designed for ground illumination - whereas a work light is. If you can't find a heavy truck supplier, look for a "Farm and Fleet" store - farmers use a lot of work lights as well (and they're probably cheaper there - too bad I'm in the Bay Area. I miss Quality Farm and Fleet!)

Whatever you use, it's best to wire it through a relay. I have a rule where I run NOT MORE THAN 1/2-amp through the switch, make the mains power leads as short as possible, and use the relay to switch mains power. Put the fuze upstream of the relay - it should be: battery - fuze - relay - light.

Hope this helps.

5-90

Where are you mounting the lights?

What type of headlights do you have?

I have Hella E-codes, so I am going some Hella FF50 driving lights to round out the package. The 500's I am ordering go up on the rack. One set driving, one fog. On the back of the rack I am adding a rear (red, 81102) fog on the driver side and a Hella worklamp (90610) on the passanger side.

I wish I could give you prices of what I am paying, but I am blind. Long story that is considered advertising. I don't know if that would be allowed or not on NAXJA.

Jason

I have the Hella 550 driving lights,mounted on top of the bumper in the early stock location. Adjusted a little wider than the headlights on high and i have no problem with seeing the deer eyes on the side of the road.They use a H3 bulb IIRC.
Wayne

Both the Hella 500 fogs and driving lights are white. Ive got a set of 500 driving lights on my Xj and my wife had a set of 500 fogs on her TJ (we have since swapped them for factory fogs). I prefer the fogs for slow driving. They throw a nice beam to the sides, although I do like my driving lights for travelling the interstates at night. If you keep the driving light pointed towards the sides of the road a little, they light up way in front to the sides, perfect for deer. For off road, I would have to say the fogs work better though.

5-90 said:
Whatever you use, it's best to wire it through a relay. I have a rule where I run NOT MORE THAN 1/2-amp through the switch, make the mains power leads as short as possible, and use the relay to switch mains power. Put the fuze upstream of the relay - it should be: battery - fuze - relay - light.
5-90

ya i know all about fuses ask any one at the fall flog when i showed up and all my light wires were melted and fryed do to a bumper swap and not putting lights back on

to answer other questions i am puting them on the fron bull bar
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72856

i might just add a second set of bars like that liast pic and put to driving and two fog

thanks for the suggestions

chris

My set up consists of Hella E-codes (80w/100w), supplemented by Hella 500 fogs. The E-codes throw off more than enough light for me to see long distances, and the Hella 500 fogs supplement the light spread more to the sides....I've got it all covered...

I'm running 3 sets of 500s, all bulbs are replaced with 100 watts
Two middle roof rack driving lights.
Two outer roof rack mount fog lights.
Two bumper mount fog lights.
Very happy.

For pure downfacing rock lights I would use a flood pattern, though.

kscherokee said:
but are the fogs to bright to run daily?

No. They are about the same as the factory fogs.

Ray H said:
No. They are about the same as the factory fogs.

Ooops, I forgot what board I was on. They 500s are about the same as Wrangler fogs.
I dont really know how bright the XJ factory fogs are.

Ray H said:
Ooops, I forgot what board I was on. They 500s are about the same as Wrangler fogs.
I dont really know how bright the XJ factory fogs are.

Ha, I was beginning to wonder cause from what I understand the OEM fogs suck.

Back