• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reese hitch

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
This is my Reese hitch b itch. This is supposed to fit 84-01 XJ. In the instructions for 84-96 XJ, it says FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT SKID PLATE. They want you to fish the 3 bolts/plates through the frame in order to attach the side plates. When I hold the plates up to the frame rail, only one hole lines up. I called the store and part #37042 is the correct one and requires no drilling. When I searched, I found folks using some other part numbers for Reese hitches on their XJ. I'd love to know if anyone with 84-96 with a skid has a Reese and would be willing to take some pics of it for me. I know it's a long shot but....please?

-Chris

I've been looking at the instructions for this hitch. They want me to remove the rear most exhaust mount (2 bolts that go up into the frame rail). Then they want the mount moved to the right and re-attached with the left bolt into the right hole in the frame. Thus using only one bolt to hold exhaust on and putting the exhaust right up against the leaf spring pack. Does this sound stupid?

you will have to remove the exhaust hanger for any hitch you put on, but the Reese sucks. I recommend returning it and getting a draw-tite or hidden hitch. the reese hangs way low and has retarded instructions and is a pain to install. give up now. get a hidden hitch.

chris

I hate to admit defeat but it's good to hear you say that the directions suck. It took me an hour to fish those 4 bolts/plates down in the center piece. Afterwards, I realized that both pictures show the bolts going into different holes. So now I don't know which ones they go in and I am not going to mess with it. I think I will take it back and check out something else.

Do other hitches keep the exhaust hanger in the stock location after the hitch is mounted?

I didn't have to remove the exhaust hanger for my 93 when I put on a Hidden Hitch. For a simple install, go to the deal and get the nut strips for a hitch. I used the provided hardware and it took about 1hr to get it all done.

Fairly simple explanation of how I did mine:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/13

I didnt have to remove the exhaust hanger on my 96 to put my DrawTite on either. It bolted nicely over the factory skid, everything lined up great. I also endorse the use of nutstrips. They arent needed but so much easier install with them. The only bad thing I can say about the use of nutstrips is that I had to take the bumper off. That was a PITA. With the backing squares, you can manage without removing the bumper. Ive also read somewhere that people have used the nutstrips without removing the bumper but its beyond me how they accomplished it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. I am taking the Reese back this afternoon and will look for a Drawtite or Hidden Hitch.

Balloo...that's a great little write-up on you Domain site. It helped. I think I might do something similar for future reference on NAXJA. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

What Class hitch are you using?

get a class 3 Hidden Hitch, i got mine from JC Whitney. I also got the nutstrips from the dealer wich make the insall a billion times easier and are good to have if you ever deside to insatall a gas skid in the future.

riverfever -- I have a class III Hidden Hitch off of my 99 (which had a skid on it) for sale -- lots cheaper than you'll get one new. I live in Highlands Ranch, work in the springs. PM me if you're interested.

:wave:

Well, I took back the crappy Reese hitch and bought a Drawtite. My first impression was good b/c it was built specifically for the XJ. The install was pretty simple. I did not have to touch the exhaust hanger at all. I had some trouble fishing the bolts/plates in the frame rail with the bumper on so I took it off. After that...life was good. The hitch could not have fit any tighter. It went on quickly. My new dirt bike carrier looks good and I'm off to ride motocross in the morning. Thanks all. I will post up pics tomorrow when I get home.

P.S. xjgrin is evil. I wish you had posted that earlier OR I had looked again before heading down to find another hitch. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

riverfeverP.S. xjgrin is evil. I wish you had posted that earlier OR I had looked again before heading down to find another hitch. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. [/font]

I've been called evil before, but its not my intent. glad you got something that worked for you.

Chris

i have a reese on my 2000 and chose it simply because it is easy to take off, and put back on. the cross bar is adjustable and it slides of easy by removing 6 bolts. not such an easy install. use some 22 gauge wire to fish the bolts through the frame on the drivers side... i used the brackets that hold the hitch as shackle tow points. works great.

Back