• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum wheels

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Picking up a set of 5 of the 5 hole jeep aluminum wheels, practically mint with the clearcoat still intact. Was considering changing their color. Whats involved in aluminum refinishing, is anodizing them to a different color practical, powdercoat, want them to took good.

i would just strip them and polish the cr@p out of them if you want them to bling.

my .02

it will be ghetto bling...I buffed, polished the hell out of mine, with the proper compounds and wheels, still no bling...would have to send them out to get a mirror finish.

Rich, I have 4 of the same wheels and i am looking for a fifith. I plan on powdercoating them black (cheap and fairly durable). I can get my set done for around 100 bucks (well worth not having to clean/sand/paint/repaint/repaint until right). After running the heavy black steelys on my 91, I decided to return to the aluminums.

Yea, I'm going to look intoo getting them powedercoated, will have to see what they look like close up on thrusday when I pick them up...

Well, did a bit of research and I think I'm going to consider anodizing them either black or dark green, the process looks pretty simple and the starter kit of chemicals and dyes are in the $144 price range. I just need to get a big enough set of tanks to fit the wheels in. It's not any worse than bluing and I had a setup for that many years ago, need to talk to one of my customers who has a body shop and see whats involved in stripping the clearcoat off. Still need to research it some more.

RichP said:
Well, did a bit of research and I think I'm going to consider anodizing them either black or dark green, the process looks pretty simple and the starter kit of chemicals and dyes are in the $144 price range. I just need to get a big enough set of tanks to fit the wheels in. It's not any worse than bluing and I had a setup for that many years ago, need to talk to one of my customers who has a body shop and see whats involved in stripping the clearcoat off. Still need to research it some more.
We have a chemical by ZEP* that takes the clearcaot right off. It a super concentrate degreaser/cleaner (we get in 55gal drums). I have seen first hand what happens when it gets on rims....not a pretty sight.

ZEP? Huh? That is some handy information to have there; I don't care who you are.

imma honky said:
We have a chemical by ZEP* that takes the clearcaot right off. It a super concentrate degreaser/cleaner (we get in 55gal drums). I have seen first hand what happens when it gets on rims....not a pretty sight.

What does it do to aluminum ?

I've bought clearcoat stripper for made for aluminum wheels, can't remember the name of it, got it at a hot rod shop, aircraft strippers not strong enough. I've painted several sets of aluminum wheels, just sanded them with a red Scotchbrite pad, a good cleaner, sprayed a coat of self etching epoxy primer and then base cleared. Run one set for several years, no peeling at all.

My Mickey's bling pretty good but I need something to get all the brake dust and oxidation crap off again. Eagle One cleaner works pretty well but it takes a few applications, would be nice to have soemthing stronger.

I've also considered anodizing them, but wonder if you can de-anodizing them later if you want to go back to the bling. Also is you polish them up and anodizing, will the shine show thorugh, like black chrome?

Back