• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG Moab Edition Tires

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
I was tire shopping today looking for 32s and I ran across BFG Moab Edition T/A s. They came up on the computer screen the sales man tried to look them up in his book but could'nt find a picture of them or tell me what kind of tread they had. They were only $2.00 more than Mud terrains. Has any one heard of them?

I heard that they were looking into a different rubber compound for the Moab tire. Logic has it that it would be a harder compound...after all its mostly solid rock...but its hard to discourage the idea of a soft compound for pure traction sake. But, like your tire dealer...I don't know for sure. The patterns were not going to change.......

The Moab edition has been around for awhile, but I don't know if it's still available. It was a mud TA with a softer compound, designed to grip better on the slickrock. It wouldn't wear as well as the normal tire because of the softer compound.

I haven't seen this come up for quite a while.

My old-style BFG ATs were a "Moab edition" - I never even thought about it but I got almost 60,000 miles on them before I upgraded.

Yep I remember (w-a-y back when) they offered both the MT and the AT in a softer "Moab" compound, at a slightly higher price +15% approx...

I hadn't seen these advertised in a long time, it was well before the new "KM" or "KO" tread designs came forth.

Maybe a call/email to Chip's Grand Tire in Moab would clear up any mystery as to availability.

While Chip at Grand Tire in Moab is a great resource, I'll save you the call. My good friend Jeff Edwards is Chip's Assist. Manager who also pits for BFG at Baja 1000, RCCA, UROC, and other BFG sponsored offroad events.

Here's what I recall him sharing with me when the Moab Edition tires came out a few years back.

They were made of a softer rubber compound, with rubber layers of varying durometers, as some have mentioned. This provided better grip on the rocks but the downside was accelerated treadwear, especially when installed on a heavy 4x4 that turned a lot of road miles. In light rig like an XJ, you'd still get decent mileage.
If you have a trail only machine, they were a great tire, but most folks want a tire that gives them the best of both worlds. The Moab Edition BFG's were only available for a few years. You may still find a new set out there, but they'd be rare.

Some of the Moab Edition tire technology has migrated to the new KM and KO tires, with improved sidewall construction, layered rubber compounds to give added traction and treadwear, etc.
I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten, but that's the nutshell version.

Great info Jeff. Thanks!

Hijack of sorts...anyone here running or planning to run the 'new' Krawlers? They are big $$$ just now, but that will likely change as they get more sizes available.

having ruined a Swamper TSL Radial last weekend (also ruined a new BFG 33" MT in 2001...) I dunno what to say. I do know that wet rubber is not very tough :viking: but some folks can break anything. My curse lately happens to be tires.

I am thinking for the MJ Buggy, big TSL bias ply or maybe TSL on front and cut Boggers on the back (with beadlock wheels) ought to hold up. These trails are a curious mix of mud, sticks, logs, rocks, and other mean stuff. Pure (tender) crawling doesn't apply too much down here.

Well This was interesting, The man at the tire shop said they were avalible in 32" the price was only $2 or $3 more I think I will call him Monday and see if he can realy get them or if he was just being a salesman. Thank you for all of the input.
SeanR

Back