• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hilllbilly regear

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
im sure this has been covered before but i coundt find anything on it but i was wondering if to make axle regearing cheaper could you take gears from a full size dana 44 with a different ratio than yours from like a chevy truck and put them in your stock 44 on a jeep. becuase around my place axles are abundant and cheap, way cheaper than gears, thanks i cant wait to get my cherokee, i have to fix and sell my POS chevy s 10 blazer first,

Yes, you absolutely can do that, as long as both are low-pinion. If it's 4.10 or higher you'll need the carrier too.

You'll still need to set them up though. Don't assume that the correct setup for the Chevy housing will work in the Jeep D44 housing, although it might be a decent starting point for getting a good pattern.

the dana 44 was just an example but you can do that as long as they have the same pinion (high or low) sweet that makes me a bit happier about lifting and regearing my other rigs too,

aussiewheeler said:
the dana 44 was just an example but you can do that as long as they have the same pinion (high or low) sweet that makes me a bit happier about lifting and regearing my other rigs too,

remember they have to be set up properly though. Any error int he set up can ruin a perfectly good set of gears

good to know thanks is there a write up any where to setup up the gears, or someone who want s to explain to me what it does and how to do it. thanks

Back