• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 2.8 transmission

natep1

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a tranny (2wd or 4wd) that would be a direct bolt up to a 2.8 that could handle 300hp?
I am dumb when it comes to GM parts knowledge & interchange.

TIA
Nathan

Yes. Any good trans shop can build a 700R4 that can hold 300 hp.

Why would anything that bolts up to a 2.8 have to handle 300hp?

A whole lotta NOS............................All the kids are running it! :laugh3:

I have been toying with the idea of swapping an Northstar into an XJ or MJ and, the Northstar has the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.8.

I recently became the lucky owner of a donor car thanks to my girlfriend.
She hit a muffler, didn't stop to look because it wasn't "that" loud. She proceeded to drive it home (10 miles) with a gaping hole in the trans pan. She finally figured out something was wrong when it started to slip and she saw a trail of fluid behind her.
Poor car only had 140k on it.

Figured it would be a killer swap (and I can't sell the engine for squat too).

TCI can build you a killer 700R4.. www.tciauto.com.. a friend has one behind a smallblock in a 1 ton Chevy with 44 boggers, been in about a year..and he ain't skeered to let 'er roost..so far so good...get a real good fluid cooler. The transmission and transfer case from a 2.8 S-10/Blazer is the ticket. (the output shaft spline count on a GM tranny is different from a jeep, so the jeep transfer case will not bolt up) Make sure you use the upgraded planetary kit. Make SURE the kickdown cable is properly rigged and adjusted.

Is the donor motor a Northstar (V-8) or a Shortstar (V-6)? Does the intake for the throttle body face the right way??? Somebody like Painless Wiring may have an engine loom and stand alone Engine control module.

One of the offroad magazines did a swap into a (Flatfender???) sucks getting old...my memory ain't what it once was.

Last edited:
Back