• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steel quarter panels?

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
I recieved a free xj this summer and it also came with some free body damage. The drivers quarter panel is beat in pretty bad. Ive seen some people running diamond plate and flat plate in this area. What would be a trail abuseable thickness for the quarters? 10ga or thicker?

I'm guessing you are talking the front? If it's a trail rig on the front I wouldn't bother but at least 1/8".

quarter pannles are in the rear under the window. if you didnt cause that damage, then its gay to keep it there. just get whatever is cheap. dont get dimond plate. dimond plate is soposed to be eye candy, but still better than whatever you were replacing. and covering up something random with a sheet of dimond plate would be stupid. unless u want to cover the other side too to match. you should just get some cheap sheet of metal. you dont need 1/8 thick. cut it out to cover the damaged area, and drill holes to rivit it on. use silicone as a sealer on the mating surfaces so it dosnt rust from the inside out.

stupidfast said:
quarter pannles are in the rear under the window. if you didnt cause that damage, then its gay to keep it there. just get whatever is cheap. dont get dimond plate. dimond plate is soposed to be eye candy, but still better than whatever you were replacing. and covering up something random with a sheet of dimond plate would be stupid. unless u want to cover the other side too to match. you should just get some cheap sheet of metal. you dont need 1/8 thick. cut it out to cover the damaged area, and drill holes to rivit it on. use silicone as a sealer on the mating surfaces so it dosnt rust from the inside out.
1-How do you know quarter panels are the rear? Front fenders are often reffered as quarter panels.
2-Why is daimond plate eye candy? Yeah I would do both sides rather than just one.
3-If you noticed he said something trail abusable. Sheet metal is not that. He would need something 1/8" or better.

Mine are made from 11 gauge steel which is close to 1/8". I brought mine from Chris at Performence Metal Works. Very high quality. Here is the only pic I have.

EvansCreek10-08-05031.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I haven't had to test them yet but am positive that they will hold up

well i think dimond plate is eye candy. shit looks nice. as far as i know, quarter pannles were in the rear and the front were called fenders, and you can just replace fenders. if you wanted to be fancy about it you can go with what journey did. thoes look nice. almost like they arent there. the last thing i would worry about tho is some dented sheet metal. as long as it dosnt hurt the unibodys structure. scars are tatoos with better stories

stupidfast said:
the last thing i would worry about tho is some dented sheet metal. as long as it dosnt hurt the unibodys structure. scars are tatoos with better stories

That may be the last thing you worry about yes, but smilesyota clearly worries about it, or he would not have posted.

I too run diamond plate rear quarter armor. It's 1/4" thick, it holds up really well. I got it off of another jeep being parted out for $40, and I see it in the for sale section here and on SoCalXJ in that price range all the time. I like the look of it. I run a black jeep with aluminium wheels and aluminium diamond plate quarters.

Here is what mine looks like with diamond plate rear quarter guards.
I have aluminum wheels now as well which makes it look alot nicer.

715137126203_0_BG.jpg

-C

Thanks for the ideas,
Yes quarter panels are in the back!
I'm going to weld on some steel, just wondering if there were any good pics or prefab pieces. I daily drive this jeep but it is function first and form second.

Back