• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputter and hesitation durring accel.

rehab

NAXJA Forum User
i just started driving my xj again and now it has some major issues. at about 1600-2000 rpm the engine coughs and sputters with the occasional backfire. it has the 4.2 block and 4.0 head and 24lb/hr. injectors. there is no cat and it has a slight exhaust leak that will not go away! i just put a new gasket on the manifold because i thought the intake was leaking but it still did the same thing. the engine has about 4000 miles on it. i bought it off a friend who rolled his rig so i put an 88 intake and all the sensors onto the engine that was in a 95. i checked the plugs and they were extremly white. so i built an adj. MAP sensor and it is running better buy the problem is still there. the map sensor now has about 7.2 volts running to it which is extremly high, since stock is about 5 volts. i checked the plugs and they are slightly black but when i turn the sensor down it just runs worse. i have been over every sensor, reading every manual and checked for vacuume leaks. i have asked everyone i know but i have came up with no solutions.
PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY JEEP!

2 posibilities - Bad CPS or distributor indexing. See the distributor indexing saga on the street & Pefrormance forum - lots of good info. If you are SURE that the indexing is correct - replace the CPS

Back