• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti wheelhop type thing

Ok, its not during any acceleration, just when the tires spin then grab, sometimes I get wheel hop. Just looking for something to make it go away.

My 86 has it bad as well. I can barely turn the tires on pavement with the 2.5 but in the sand it is super bad. I have just replaced everything up front including the coils to 01 coils with 14K on them. The rear is still 2" higher than the front. I am pretty sure my leaves are still good. It may be your shocks. That is my next course of action. I am getting ready to do a 1" lift to the rear and 3" to the front to level it out and get the body off the ground. Hopefully the new shocks help a little.

The ones that you are looking at on ebay are more for leaf sprung street rods. They take away too much ground clearance for any off road use. Also they will not do anything for you in reverse. What they may do, if your spring wrap is that bad, is hit the ground on level pavement. What you need to do is figure out how much power it takes for your tires to loose traction and back it off just a little. The point of the most acceleration is that moment just before your tires break traction. That is why dragsters do a burn out to heat up their slicks, so when they come off the line they don't spin the tires. All you do when you spin the tires is slow the rate at which you accelerate and waste good tires. If you have wheel hop and you continue to spin your tires all you will do is make the condition worse. First by weakening the springs from the constant bind and release and second by creating "flat" spots on the tires. As the tire hops, every time it touches the ground the asphalt removes a small amount of rubber from your tires. Pretty soon the tire will become misshapen and start contacting in the same spot every time; creating flat spots.

4 link it with coilovers problem solved.....your welcome.

summitlt said:
My 90 MJ has wheelhop, mostly in reverse. It gets really old when im tryin gto get into traffic or something and it spins, when it grabs it seems like its going to come apart.

I was looking at the bars you can get at VIP (woo hoo) but they would take away a lot of ground clearance.

Like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lake...ewItemQQcategoryZ42609QQitemZ8023301300QQrdZ1

What else can I do to reduce wheelhop?

Forget those Lakewood traction bars. You can't install them on spring over axle leaf set ups like the one we have on our XJ's. They only work when the springs are under the axle.
An alternative is to install a Heim jointed traction bar like the one I added recently to my XJ:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/traction.html

It certainly worked for me. the only problem is that I sometimes hear a clunking sound and I've traced it to one of the Heim joints starting to wear out.

Tre said:
"Universal kit fits all year Jeep Vehicles. Welding and fabrication skills needed."
If you have the means to weld & fab just build your own. It would be cheaper.

You will need a cross member to mount it to.

I have built a couple of traction bars using 2 flex joints on the shackle end, they have worked out great.
Here mine with a 3 leaf pack and no axle wrap:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Back