• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

79 ford for 700.00...is this a very good deal?

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
I found a complete 1979 ford F-150, D44 HP, 9" RR, auto trans and I think a 351C. I want a good set of axles and would like some info on the front 44 hp and the 9" Rear for this vintage ford, because that is all I really want the axles. Links to other post would be great! I already have salvaged a D44 out of a XJ, but haven't done anything with it. I have a RockKrawler LA that would have to be moded to fit these axles.

what do you think?

Thanks

Around here the HPD44 can be had for $250-$300 and the rear is in the same range. The issue you may have to deal with is paying to get the body hauled off and scrapped.

I'd get it.
Axles here are $500 for anything good.
The rest can be sold easily if the pieces are in good order.

The engine would be either a 351M or 400M which is in the Based on the Cleveland or 335 series engine, unless it was swapped for a Cleveland at some point which would be pointless. But anyway, I say go for it if everything works.

You'll have to re-tube the front axle unless you plan on using the Ford radius-arm suspension design. In 78-79 Fords, the C-mounts are cast iron and the tube isn't continuous through them.
Jeep on!
--Pete

BRIANHO13 said:
the 9" is most likley 31 spline as well.
Thats what my ' 77 was.
I miss it.
cry3.gif

IMG28.jpg

The radius design works rather well for me.

I would buy the truck, the axles will be fine. 31 spline is not a big deal. People will always find some weak point in an axle. 31 spline ford 9 would be better than a d44 which is better than a d30.

I plan on running 38.5's on my 31 spliner and d44 and I have no doubts that it will hold.

-Kevin

Pete M said:
You'll have to re-tube the front axle unless you plan on using the Ford radius-arm suspension design. In 78-79 Fords, the C-mounts are cast iron and the tube isn't continuous through them.
Jeep on!
--Pete
Gotta call SPOBI.
The cast steel RA mounts will be fine to weld your LA mounts to.
The only reason to retube these is if you want to rotate the inner "C" to get better caster angles.

I'd say go for it! I'm running those exacty axles on my 92 XJ with the RK long arms and I love the setup!! Dont worry about the Radius arm mounts, you can work around those to make your RK kit work!!

Here are the pictures from my install, I dont have any from after the work was finished, but I can get some if your interested!
http://schwabdesigns.com/jeep/axles/

Yes I know the upper arm is mounted on the wrong side, the axle was setup for a single upper on the passanger side when I get it, so I just modifed my setup to work with it!

RalphXJ said:
I'd say go for it! I'm running those exacty axles on my 92 XJ with the RK long arms and I love the setup!! Dont worry about the Radius arm mounts, you can work around those to make your RK kit work!!
!

how do you atttach the lower condtrol arms to radius arm mounts ??

got any pics ?? close ups of the joint attachied to the C bushing placement??

kid4lyf said:
Gotta call SPOBI.
The cast steel RA mounts will be fine to weld your LA mounts to.
The only reason to retube these is if you want to rotate the inner "C" to get better caster angles.

D'oh! Slip of the tougue, er, fingers there. Of course they are cast Steel, not iron. Although I'm having probems imagining using them as a base for an XJ long arm kit. Seems like a lot of effort. :(
Jeep on!
--Pete

Pete M said:
D'oh! Slip of the tougue, er, fingers there. Of course they are cast Steel, not iron. Although I'm having probems imagining using them as a base for an XJ long arm kit. Seems like a lot of effort. :(
Jeep on!
--Pete
Just a nice beefy-azz surface to weld to.

if your interrested in just the axles spend the $700 on a decently built D44/9" combo. I know several people who have bought similar setups for $600-$700 with gears and whatnot already in them. that'd be your best bet, then you wouldn't have a 6000 lb hunk of metal in your front yard

Panthers65 said:
if your interrested in just the axles spend the $700 on a decently built D44/9" combo. I know several people who have bought similar setups for $600-$700 with gears and whatnot already in them. that'd be your best bet, then you wouldn't have a 6000 lb hunk of metal in your front yard

Or..... part it out andkeep the axles use the money you make to build the axles.

Any working 351 motor will be worth $$. A Cleveland is still worth $$ even broke. It is a high performance collector motor. Odds are you don't have it in the truck. Just look for the thermostat location - on the block over the timing chain is Cleveland, on the manifold pointing forward Windsor.

You will find a wide range of prices for axles and motors nationwide - what they go for locally in a days drive of where you are is what you can make a decision on.

Frankly, a running '79 with a 351 and dana 35's won't be worth much . . .
maybe you can say it was a railroad truck.

A running XJ with D44's and a 351 Windsor, hoooo doggies, I'm getting out of your way.

Panthers65 said:
Define "decently built".
My front 44 alone will cost me well over $1500 and I'll be doing everything as cheaply as possible.
If you can find me a deal like that I'll buy as many as I can get.

Back