• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapo mans regear

dakotus

NAXJA Forum User
Im planning on regearing to 4.10. Looking to buy parts from different sources to save as much cash as I can while still getting quality stuff.

I have a 1999 XJ
FRONT: Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline
REAR: Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline

Will this work for the rear?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chry...33731QQitemZ8022800480QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

still searching for D30 gears.

Any other options out there? Axle swap etc?
Will gears from any 2.5L XJ's work for the front?
What about master install kits? I just had my pinion bearings and such replaced about 1k miles ago.
What about D30 carrier... It has to be replaced correct?
How about the 8.25 carrier?
Anyone have their old 4.10 gears?

thanks so much in advance guys

Forget spending money to regear to 4.10's. What size tire are you running now, and what could you see yourself running in the future (be honest, the temptation to go bigger is always there).

Personally, if it were me, I would go the lowest you can go in that axle combo (4.56) because even with 30's or 31's, you'll still be wishing you had lower gears with 4.10's.

The D30 carrier will need to be swapped... 90% positive your current carrier will work in your 8.25 with either 4.10's or 4.56's.

For the cheaper route, some rigs actually came with 4.10's in them... usually 4 cylinder ones. If you found a 29 spline 8.25 and D30 with 4.10's for cheap, it might be worth it. Remember that 8.25's before 97 are 27 spline. Otherwise, think 4.56's and whether you want to install a locker in one or the other at the same time.

Back