• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any way to tweak a Trac-loc?

mjd99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Kind of an odd question, i bought a new trac-lock (not the best lim slip, i know) really cheap and new from jeep and was wondering if theres anything i can do to it to make it a bit more aggressive than it is stock. I wouldnt mind if the clutches wore out a bit more quickly, i plan on a full ARB eventually this is just a temporary fix to an open rear 8.25. most of my funds are eaten up by christmas and trying to piece together a lift, Any help to a new guy would be appreciated.

Yes, and if you do some searching you can find the clutch install tool which you will need, no way around it. I've tried. Also search and you can buy new clutches for approx 50 bux.

Once you get the diff apart, spider gears out, and put the new clutches in, try and sneak one of the old ones in with it on each side. Theres a big cupped shim on each side that needs to be compressed to make it all stay tight (hence the need for the special took), and obviusnly with the extra clutch disk jammed in there it will be that much tighter.

If your not familiar with the workings of that limited slip it will make a lot of sence when you get into it. Also the spider gears that ride on the crosshaft have a shim behind them and its super important that you put them back because it ensures that the spider gears are set up correctly and the cross shaft will fit between the axle ends when you put it back on reassembly.

The tool that im specifing basically pusches the clutch packs apart and then allows you to install the 2 remaing spider gears with the shims and rotate them into position. Also depending on the model of trackloc the clotch set-up may be shim, clutch disk, clutch disk, shim.....but it you alternate them evenly it may help with grip. It's a PITA but thats basically it!

Sorry for the long post, hope that helps.

So basically Id just be adding 2 extra clutch plates? Do you have any idea what kind of effect this has on the life of the unt? This is my DD so i need it to last at least for a year or so. Did you use a different ammount of fluid or friction modifier? Thanks for da help!

Yeah, add one pair of plates (one steel + one friction). Should not affect longevity that much. It'll certainly last a year, unless you like doing dry pavement burnouts at every traffic light or spend every weekend at the drag strip.

No need to change the amount of friction modifier, but be sure to use it. If you begin to feel the rear getting "catchy" in turns on pavement -- refresh the friction modifier juice.

not sure if this is going to help or not, but, in the 8.8 mustang world, the total number of elements are utilized, but the actual stacking order is revised.

Each clutch pack is made up of a series of Frictions and Steels and in the factory order they go F-S-S-F-S-S-F. However, if you re-use the best two of your old Frictions in place of one of the new Steels you can re-stack them in an order that makes the diff lock better, which is F-S-F-S-F-S-F, which is the same number of total elements.

This makes a very aggressive trac-lok.
I run this setup in my mustang, and it works awsome on the street and at the strip.
Only time I ever notice anything different on the street is in slow very tight corners, with a little throttle applied, I can hear the inside rear tire scuff on the pavement, but nothing like a locker.
Typically, it's invisable, acting just like any trac-lok... and this rebuild has 50,000 street miles, and 200 1/4 miles passes/burnouts and launches at 5500-6250rpm and is holding up fine.

Eagle had stated to add one clutch plate and one steel to each side. You can certainly try it but from my experience it won't fit. Theres really not that much room to play with in there as you will find out. But you can certainly try it though! I had a hard enough time just getting one worn clutch plate in there.

Also Mike H explained the packing order much clearer than I did in my first post. Who knows though, you might get it apart and the clutches are in the "performance" sequence. They were already that way in mine.

Where can a clutch install tool be found? Seached with search.com and did not find anything on the first 2 pages of hits. My Dana Spicer aftermarket limited slip clutches are apparently wearing out on only the 2nd winter of driving. Probably under 35,000 miles on the Trac Loc. Very disappointing.

I never found one, i just installed mine as is, (im suprised at how decent it works for a factory unit, maybe brand new clutches?) If anyone knows id like to know, and also is removal of the whole thing needed to do this?

Back