• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting chevy 63" in the rear.

cherokeefun

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on putting in chevy 63" leafs in the rear but I have heard a couple of different things on how to do it. The first thing I have heard was that I would bolt one end up in the stock spring mount and the other end I would hang off of a custom bumper with shackels hanging off of that. The second thing I have heard was that I would have to inboard the springs and make all new mounting points for them. Has anyone ever done this or now anything about it.

If you want to keep the rear end centered where it is, you'll have to make new front spring hangers a little further forward, and you'll have to extend the shackle mounts rearward. If you want to extend the wheelbase by using the stock front spring hangers, then you'll have to deal with tire clearance at the rear of the wheel well, the shock mount positions, and the gas tank.

Inboarding the springs is a lousy option, since it both decreases ground clearance and decreases stability. Some who have tried inboarding the springs moved them back out again.

I run 1/2 ton Chevy springs with 57" long MJ main leaves. Here's a couple of pics of my front spring hangers. I made boomerang shackles for the rear to gain 2", and moved the fronts forward 3".

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Yeah I don't mind extending my wheel base at all. I will most likley have to run full widths to clear the body or cut the hell out of it. I will figure that out when it come to. I only plan on running 36's so I will have to see what happens when they go on.

Back