• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In my case would this be okay?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Jeep is now lifted and on 33s. Okay I drive 80 miles a day and the 3.55s absolutely suck, duh. I was planning on regearing to 4.56s and a powertrax no-slip in the rear. Well with Christmas here and everything costing more than I planed on my Jeep (as usual) I am real short on cash and regearing in Jan. doesn't look good.

So, if I take my front driveshaft off and keep my nv242 in 2wd can I just regear the rear axle? I would go ahead and add the locker also and then a month or so later regear the d30. Will this be okay mechanically wise? I figure my Jeep will be running better and the tranny will have way less stress on it at he sacrifice of staying in 2wd for an extra month month and a half...which is 2k-3k miles.

yes I searched, regearing rear axle only cam back with tons of threads that only said "regear" or "axle".

Sure you can do it, with the front driveshaft pulled.

It won't damage anything, you just can't use 4wd.

Lawn Cher' said:
It won't damage anything, you just can't use 4wd.

But without the front DS in place you will get an effective '2 wheel low' range.

WTF said:
But without the front DS in place you will get an effective '2 wheel low' range.

yes....... where are you going with this?

I regeard my d-44 to 4.88's when I put it in and the front has been waiting for a year. The front drive shaft is removed and I've had no problems. There is no need to remove the front drive shaft unless someone else drives your jeep they could "test" your 4wd and break your transfer case.

Back