• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Discs on D44 Question

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
Hate to tell you this but your best bet is to hold one up to the other. If you try to use a pattern, you run the risk of mis-drilling or something. Then you will have to modify the holes you just put in... I used a D44 retainer plate as my guide.. Get it lined up with the ZJ bracket, clamp them together, and removed the metal you see in the holes. Two of the holes you can straight up drill no problem. The other two are basically halfway into existing holes. So you have to "egg" those holes out. Thats where I machine shop comes in handy because they can do that much easier. But it can be done. I like the bits that go into dremels or die grinders that have sharp edges all around. Someone will chime in with the correct name, but maybe a metal rotary bit? Forget what its called. Anyway... Its not that hard. Just take your time so you make the holes correct the first time.

Justin

Hey, is this Autozone Justin?

I get what you're saying about using a D44 retainer plate. I'm really kicking myself because I tossed a couple of non-C-clip D35 drum back backing plates that have the same bolt pattern as the D44 because I figured "What could I possibly need them for?" (idiot).

Anyway, I have a friend of mine who is going to do it on a mill for me at his work. I've know this guy for years and he's real good. So now I need an accurate bolt pattern measurement or something to use as a pattern. I really can't afford to be without the XJ for more than a day or two. I'd be really pissed if I tore the backing plate off to use for a pattern and we got a foot or two of snow :(

Haha...yes this is Autozone Justin... Guess I met you at some point there? Anyway... Why not just grab another D44 retainer plate and take that to your guy? You need to re-do your shafts anyway to add the spacers needed. And you might as well put on new retainer plates. So just got down to courtesy jeep or something and get them to get you a couple retainers. Thats what I did and they were cheap. A buddy of mine who did the swap had a jig made up to make it easier. It keeps the center holes lined up and the bolt holes in the right place. I think I still have it laying around.

I did mine with a drill press that I borrowed from someone. Wasnt too hard. If i have to do it again, it would go a lot easier.

Justin

We were chatting D44s a while back, before you got yours. I was picking up new brake shoes for my D44. I had just put it in at the time.

Woody from here hooked me up with a measurement (2" x 3 5/16") so I'll use that to bore the holes. I got the retainer plates from Town Motors in Exton last week. I was thinking about cutting the retainers in half and putting them under the existing retainers. I just put new bearing and seals in a couple of month ago and it seems like a waste to replace them again. I know I'll have to put longer bolt in but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of room to do it.

whoa wait a minute...
food for thought. the ZJ brakes use the smaller TJ pattern. in fact its the same pattern as a D35 on a TJ. which is the same pattern thats on a Rubicon D44 rear.
take the retainer plates back and order up Rubicon D44 retainer plates. they coincidentaly have the spacer needed for the disc brakes. instead of redrilling the brakes, redrill the housing ends. 2 need to be elongated and the two lower holes need to be redrilled.
Its an easier mode than drilling the brakes and using the spacers and stuff.

Rawbrown said:
whoa wait a minute...
food for thought. the ZJ brakes use the smaller TJ pattern. in fact its the same pattern as a D35 on a TJ. which is the same pattern thats on a Rubicon D44 rear.
take the retainer plates back and order up Rubicon D44 retainer plates. they coincidentaly have the spacer needed for the disc brakes. instead of redrilling the brakes, redrill the housing ends. 2 need to be elongated and the two lower holes need to be redrilled.
Its an easier mode than drilling the brakes and using the spacers and stuff.

I did pick up the Rubi retainers, I should have been more specific there. I thought about drilling the axle instead. I saw that a few other have do that but I'm a) nervous about screwing up the D44 and b) have access to a mill to accurately put the holes in the ZJ parts and Rubi retainer.

I took an extra small pattern retainer and an old D44 axle bearing race. welded them together and that gave me a perfect template. then I marked and drilled the lowers with no problems. on the uppers since they just need to be elongated i marked them and did the work with a die grinder. My reasoning on drilling the housing before the plates and retainers is because its easier to replace a busted shaft or something.
stoneattic said:
I did pick up the Rubi retainers, I should have been more specific there. I thought about drilling the axle instead. I saw that a few other have do that but I'm a) nervous about screwing up the D44 and b) have access to a mill to accurately put the holes in the ZJ parts and Rubi retainer.

Damn good idea making the template. Of course had not been an idiot and tossed the old bearings when I replaced them and tossed all my non-"C"clip D35 stuff I might go that route. Hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

you can still use the rubi retainer plates. just be sure to index it evenly.
if you turn the plate to much one way or the other then youll drill just a little too close to the axle tube. That just makes it harder to get the bolts in because they will go in at an angle.

I had a set of Rubi retainers that I hogged out to fit the xjD44, but the ford racing explorer kit I ordered came with neat spacer rings. I just ordered new xj d44 retainers and used the ford kit spacers, avoiding having to modify the retainers

These guys have the various flange bolt patterns listed: http://tsmmfg.com/jeep.htm

ps I think i have the modified rubi plates still around if someone wants them

I just had the stock holes on the housing ends welded up, then clamped the Rubicon retainer plates in place as a template and drilled them out. Nice and easy, works good and lines up perfectly with the ZJ backing plates.

Goodluck!

Back