• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Okay Jeep is lifted, but...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have always had issues with DW, well not this time. I just lifted my '99 XJ with a RE 4.5" (netted 6") and running 33" X-Terrains on 15x8 black steelies. Now I just took it into the shop to get an alighnment and the guy said all they can do on a lifted vehicle is get my steering wheel straight and adj. my toe to factory specs. Now my only driving issues are from the alighnment like fighting the steering somewhat and feeling like I am playing pong between the white lines on the road, lol.

I guess my question is should just adj. the toe and centering my steering wheel be enough to fix my alighnment issue? My adj. UCAs are set perfect and I believe they are whats keeping me from having DW cause I have worn out uneven tires, a bent rim and my alighnment is way way off (of course) and you'd figure all that would = DW on a short arm Jeep with 6" lift, but no thank goodness.

Based on whay you said was wrong with your front end, I'm surprised you can even stay on the road. While you may have had it before, DW is not all that common.

I swapped in a HPD30 on my 2K and had 3 inches of axle offset that required an adjustable track bar and I have 2 degrees of camber. After a good alignment, it handles quite well. But, if I get my tie rod bent even a little, it handles supper crappy on the road. Come spring the tie rod is going up 2" to alleviate that.

Get decent tires and a front end alignment. You already know what you need to do.

Yeah I fight the wheel bad 1/2 my drive, not really bump steer or anything, just my tires are way off. LOL, surprised I could stay on the road? This was all in morning rush hour traffic, durning rain, bad roads and me drving 25 miles to the alighnment shop. I am getting dropped off at lunch to get her back.

Yeah getting some new tires this weekend I hope.

ZachMan said:
Yeah I fight the wheel bad 1/2 my drive, not really bump steer or anything, just my tires are way off. LOL, surprised I could stay on the road? This was all in morning rush hour traffic, durning rain, bad roads and me drving 25 miles to the alighnment shop. I am getting dropped off at lunch to get her back.

Yeah getting some new tires this weekend I hope.

Yea my drives like that do ..I think b/c it has hardly no camber to keep it tracking straight .. I'm gettin mine lined up Sat.

LS1Jeep said:
Yea my drives like that do ..I think b/c it has hardly no camber to keep it tracking straight .. I'm gettin mine lined up Sat.

Do you mean caster? Camber is not adjustable unless you replace the ball joints.

As for the original question though... Caster, camber and toe will all cause pulling of the vehicle if not adjusted properly. Make sure when you get the alignment done you ask for a printout of the specs. Then you can post those and you'll get much more info on what needs to be done.

Last edited:
dirt714 said:
Make sure when you get the alignment done you ask for a printout of the specs. Then you can post those and you'll get much more info on what needs to be done.

I'll ask them, thanks.

Hey one other question, whats the rule of thumb on how much lift I got? Is it 5" if the bottom of the Jeep is at the top of the wheels (15")? Just wondering cause I am about 1" above.

Alright called the tire place my Jeep is ready. He said my castor and camber looked good, which I thought it would. He said my toe was all messed up, he said he was surprised I drove it to them, lol. I was just like it wasn't a big deal after having DW in the past on my '00 XJ a little alignment issue is no biggie.

ZachMan said:
Hey one other question, whats the rule of thumb on how much lift I got? Is it 5" if the bottom of the Jeep is at the top of the wheels (15")? Just wondering cause I am about 1" above.
If you've got stock flares, the stock height is 17.5" from wheel center to the bottom of the front flare, and 17.0" for the rear.

Yucca-Man said:
If you've got stock flares, the stock height is 17.5" from wheel center to the bottom of the front flare, and 17.0" for the rear.

Yeah I don't, mine measured 18" F/R non upcountry.

Well it drives alot better, but still not great...I know one of my tires is bad so I am suppost to get some new ones this weekend:

Yeah I am on a hill sloping down, the fronts actually .5" lower right where I want it.

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep1.jpg

dirt714 said:
Do you mean caster? Camber is not adjustable unless you replace the ball joints.

As for the original question though... Caster, camber and toe will all cause pulling of the vehicle if not adjusted properly. Make sure when you get the alignment done you ask for a printout of the specs. Then you can post those and you'll get much more info on what needs to be done.

yes thats what I meant to say, I was typing fast ...

Back