• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

izuzu rear end

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
my friend has like a 94' rodeo, he is selling it, told me i could have the rear end if i put mine out of my cherokee on his. just wondering if it was worth while, im not even sure what kind it is, it is a 4x4 stick V-6, any ideas on what rear end and gears it has.
thanks,
jimmy

Sounds like a bitchin' idea except for the lug patterns. The Isuzu D44 is 6 lug and the XJ of course is 5. You'll need to redrill both your axle/drums and his in order to do the swap, and you'll need brakeline adapters from the US lines to metric on the Isuzu. Then there's the question of whether the spring perches are the same width and center pin size and perch height. But if you can handle all that then jump on it.

I have a friend with a 94 XJ that has about nine inches of lift and he runs the Rodeo D44 in his rig. The thing is unstopable. He swears by it. I plan on steeling his idea when I get the money (waiting for the stock Chryler 8.25 to break). The modifications are easy and well worth it. Chromoly shafts are available as well. Definately worth looking into.

Joe

I have installed a 96 zoo d44 under my MJ project.....it is wider thanteh 94 by abjout 1 1/2" the 94 will be 58" and the 96 to 97 is roughly 59.25...The 94 if it has drum brakes will be ok for an xj if it has discs then it may be too narrow....for the MJ the 96 was a perfect fit...for an XJ the brake line brackets will have to be relocated.

So you're saying the Rodeo D44s with discs are too narrow? I'm about to pick up a Waggy front and a Rodeo rear with stock 4.30s and disc brakes.

I'm running a isuzu 44, It's from a 95 with a v6. Complete with disks. I love it. It is about an inch narrower. 2 half in spacers fixed that. The perches aren't the same I don't know about all rodeos but the 95 is spring under. I did need to modify caliper mount/bearing retainer. If that makes any sense. mine came with some odd ball gears 4.29's.(4.56 now) It also runs the larger carrier bearings, like a gm front 44, bigger then the jeep 44. I like it. and have had no problems but when I do rear brakes I do the rotors to, they wear quick, but there also auto-zone. go figure
If you want more info pm me
Chadc

94 is 58"

95,96,97, 98 is 59 1/2"

99,00,01,02, is 63"

the wheel offset has changed ove the years..this info is from me measuring rodeos in a salvage yard and not gospel....so the late 90's are almost perfect for the switch

I used a 96

Last edited:
OK, someone straighten me out on this. I havent looked at the Zoo 44 with my own eyes. But if I remember right someone told me they had aluminum pumpkins. Is there any truth in this or are they cast like a normal rear end. I am very interested in this after reading these guys praises about them.

Mike

I know the ones in the mid to late 90's area all steel
/
picture.JPG

I don't know if they ever had a full aluminum 44 or not but I have seen some in parking lots and what have you that have an aluminum diff cover that has all kinds of reinforcing/cooling ribs. I would like to get my hands on one. Mine also didn't have a vent in the axle housing. It is built in the diff cover. Another thing I like is the shafts have no taper to them, and there is a snap ring to help retain the wheel bearing. I feel this axle is way over built for the rodeo's intended purpose. I didn't realize chromo shafts were available, who makes em?
Chadc

Back