• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny mounts...opitions?

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Are there any other tranny mounts avalible for the AW4? Stock replacement from Napa is 37 some bucks and a little tall. Is there any other mounts that are any other mounts that are not as tall and will work.

I won't waste my time with stock tranny mounts again, one of my next projects is a new crossmember with better clearance and a different tranny mount. I really like Jes's using a piece of a leaf spring and a shackle:

standard

You think that $37 is bad? Go and price the mount for a Puegot ( around $140, stealership only!). I agree with BrettM. Try designing a different X-member, and look at some different mounts, GM's seem to have the largest selection of designs ( even the FWD junk has mount possibilities).

just got back to this, and no I don't think 40 bucks is bad, just supprised cause it was a piece fo crap and I would like some different opitions, the leaf spring idea is pretty trick.

This is what I had original came up with, sorta like Jess's idea but inverted.

tranny_mount2.jpg

Last edited:
ren said:
You think that $37 is bad? Go and price the mount for a Puegot ( around $140, stealership only!). I agree with BrettM. Try designing a different X-member, and look at some different mounts, GM's seem to have the largest selection of designs ( even the FWD junk has mount possibilities).

My local stealer wants $250 for the Peugot tranny mount. I asked the parts guy if he was serious, and if it came gold plated.

BrettM said:
I really like Jes's using a piece of a leaf spring and a shackle:
Why is this design better than a stock setup?

I need to do something with mine. After adding an atlas recently there's way more movement than I'm comfortable with while it's in low range. I was going to just buy poly mounts but if there's a better designed solution out there I'm all for it.

I bought one from kraigen that was about 2.5 inches taller than stock went to go put in and it seemed to stressed the sh!t outa the bellhousing bolts and exhaust. Took the piece back and put the shot original back in untill I can find a better one. Didn't even think about making my own. Has anyone gone w/ the poly mount? Did ya like it?

Jes's cross member looks great. I cant quite see the details of the attachment in the photo. Tell me if this is correct:

This part seems pretty clear-
1x4,6? box tube for cross member
Two trapazoid plates welded to box tube for attachment to frame rails

This part is a little less clear-
Leaf spring end welded to stock trans mount upper half? If this is the set up then what is the point of the bushing and bolt and how do you get any isolation between the mount and the transmission?

or (an I think this must be the case)

Is there some part I cant see in the shadow that uses the leaf spring bushing to isolate the transmission?

I would like to duplicate this set up to gain some extra clearance.

John

nosigma said:
This part is a little less clear-
Leaf spring end welded to stock trans mount upper half? If this is the set up then what is the point of the bushing and bolt and how do you get any isolation between the mount and the transmission?

or (an I think this must be the case)

Is there some part I cant see in the shadow that uses the leaf spring bushing to isolate the transmission?

It's part of a shackle welded to the plate that bolts to the tranny. there is isolation properties both from the leaf bushing and the leaf itself.

korda said:
Why is this design better than a stock setup?

Because it gained about two inches of ground clearance and it allowed a place to mount my suspension links.
picture.JPG

BrettM said:
It's part of a shackle welded to the plate that bolts to the tranny. there is isolation properties both from the leaf bushing and the leaf itself.

Only isolation is from the bushing, the spring part does not move at all.

Alright, Jes. I'm going to ask a few questions; I hope you don't mind. Is your mount just a drilled square plate welded to a short tube which is then welded to one eye of a leaf, which is then bolted to your custom crossmember? Does the leaf eye have a poly or rubber bushing? How would you compare the vibes with the OEM setup? Would that work on a stock (daily driven vehicle's) crossmember? Sorry for asking so many questions.

Timber said:
Alright, Jes. I'm going to ask a few questions; I hope you don't mind. Is your mount just a drilled square plate welded to a short tube which is then welded to one eye of a leaf, which is then bolted to your custom crossmember? Does the leaf eye have a poly or rubber bushing? How would you compare the vibes with the OEM setup? Would that work on a stock (daily driven vehicle's) crossmember? Sorry for asking so many questions.

It was made by cutting off the mounting plate from my stock AX15 tranny mount. I then took a stock XJ shackle, cut it in half and welded it to the mounting plate. The other end is the end of a leaf spring from a Chevy. I tried a poly bushing in there but the vibes were horrable so I went to a stock rubber YJ leaf spring bushing and the vibes are gone.
My junk is daily driven so I like it to be as smooth as possable.
I have no idea if you could make something like this work with a stock crossmember.

Thanks for the reply. After looking at the pics on the tech part of your site, I figure to make it work with a stock crossmember would almost be as much work as making a new narrower one with a built-in t-case skid kind of like yours. Thanks again.

Back